Bushwhacked Mt Kancamagus

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvfvftt

Reaction score
I Bushwhacked Mt Kancamagus yesterday Saturday June 23

I parked on Rt 112 at Lilly Pond at 10:30 and was hiking by 10:45 it was cloudy with a temp of 60F. Starting at the Livermore Trailhead the walking was easy for the mile then elevation increases and sharply increased se we approached the height of land at Livermore pass 2 miles in. We stopped in an open field for a break and snack @ 2,800’

At that point we started the first leg of our Bushwhack 0.7 miles at a heading of @ 325 degree. There were lots of dead trees and brush but it was better going that I expected. Long pants, shirt along with gloves, hat and safety glasses were an absolute necessary at this point. Even with that we were getting torn up. It was cloudy day with no sun so I lost my fixed reference point, so we checked our 325 bearing constantly. For most of the ascent I could see 40 to 50 feet ahead. As the elevation changes so did the vegetation. Lots of birch trees and it looked like a fire ran through the area years earlier. Things were going ok until we reached the first sub peak. We got stuck in some pretty thick spruce on the NNE side and had to back track around to the SSW side. On our second leg we stayed on the slope on a bearing of 329 degrees for the next 0.3 miles and it was not bad going. Again, lots of dead trees with sharp branches. Changed to a bearing of 333 degree for the last leg to the summit 0.3 miles. The summit was pretty open and the canister was easy to find. We had a nice break and signed the book we counted 25 hikers over the past six years who had signed the register. We returned to the open field at Livermore pass using the approximate pat in. Another break at the open field and then the rain started light at first but then heavy the temp was 50F. Back to the car on 112 at 4:30PM
It was a great Hike.
RVF

FYI
I am always looking for Bushwhacking partners
RVF

Find any skulls?

(years ago a VFTT member found a human skull on this bushwhack from what was eventually determined to be likely suicide)

Glad to hear you made it. Sorry could not join you. Odd coincidence HMJ on NE Trails Conditions visited Kanc on same day started from Graham Outlook on Kanc. I recall visiting Greens Cliff another relatively rarely visited objective and finding JR Stockwell signed in couple of hours before I did. It felt odd and spooky.