Failed attempt at Success, + Bald Cap is neither

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
I actually made it; I just thought it would make for a great subject line if I had to turn around on Mt Success.

I drove up to Berlin NH and climbed Bald Cap in the drizzle on Sunday. I went up from a Success Pond Road spur log road which leads to the Berlin Landfill.
I really draw the line at bushwhacking in the rain, but the woods were pretty moderate and I was able to circumvent any thick areas without a problem.
The canister is an unusual arched piece of PVC piping which was pretty nifty. Shaped like a ram's horn.
Bald Cap is neither bald nor does it feel like a cap. It felt like a most marshy upland swampy flatter summit with one area just a bit higher. Lots of trees. No baldness, no cap. I want my money back. This sucker needs a name change man. Anyone know if it has a lot of cliffs anywhere? Maybe we could rename it
“The Berlin Wall" if so.

It stopped drizzling so I drove up to the Mt Success trailhead. I wore running shoes and booked it up and down Mt Success in 2 hours and 23 minutes round trip. Nice easy going trail. Wonderful 30-35 foot distant views of the intense fog at the summit. Beautiful foggy panoramas from Mt Success everywhere. I have included lots of photos from the summit - just look anywhere there isn't text in this post.

Funny, you must of seen our sign in from Friday afternoon (6/22). We came over from the AT at the high spot near Wocket Ledge. Decidedly a lot more scratchy than we expected. I agree not very bald.

Too many "Bald Cap"s in that neck of the woods. North Bald Cap 2893 (which has some areas near the top), Bald Cap 3065 and Bald Cap Peak 2795.

Yes I did see your 6/22 sign in! - I remember remarking to myself how recently someone had ventured up there. North Bald Cap seems like the best of the bunch.