Is Dry River Trail to Isolation Trail as difficult as AMC guide ver 29 describes it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sematary

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan my ascent to Isolation (one of the last 2 hikes I have to finish the 48) and version 29 makes it seem that Dry river trail is fairly difficult to follow. This book is out of date so I need to know if the route has gotten easier to discern and are the river crossings as difficult as they make them out to be or have their been improvements?

I just read a trip report on the valley an hour ago. There is substantial washouts and blow downs. The two made it to the falls which are past the Isolation trail. From what I have read, you can follow the trail, but be prepared for rougher sections then your average trail.

I'm trying to plan my ascent to Isolation (one of the last 2 hikes I have to finish the 48) and version 29 makes it seem that Dry river trail is fairly difficult to follow. This book is out of date so I need to know if the route has gotten easier to discern and are the river crossings as difficult as they make them out to be or have their been improvements?

My Intel is from 2016, but the trail to the bridge was easy to follow and clear. After that, there were several relocations that were wet and rooty/sidehilly until the junction with Isolation West. This stretch is fairly rough in spots, with slower progress given the low average rate of climb.

The lower part of Iso west has some washout, but wasn't too bad. Upper section was beautiful - worth the trip. The junction is at the stream crossing, so keep an eye. If you make it to the campsite spur, you went too far.

My understanding is that the DR trail past Iso West has some stretches of blowdowns that may still require mitigation.

Good luck!