Suggestions for men's sandals

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I need a rugged pair of good, solid sandals.

There are so many men's sandals for sale, and I don't know how to choose. Last year I needed a camera, and the good members of this forum were very helpful. Indeed, I bought a camera based on a suggestion and have been very happy with it.

Sandal suggestions?

Don't want leather, must have a heal strap, nothing between the big toe and the index toe. Something I could walk all day on gentle trails.

Thank you in advance,

Brian

You might take a look at Chaco Z/1. I have (and like) two pairs--one with a "river sole" (low, fairly smooth) and one with a Vibram sole (higher lug sole). Good solid sandals. They have a good bit of arch support.

(I think they have changed models since I bought mine--the Z/1 is the closest and meets your spec.)

Doug

I'll second the Keen Newport H2s. My favorite footwear ever. They aren't exactly sandals, but they have heel straps and a solid, enclosed toe so stubbing is never a problem.

Tim

I'll second the Keen Newport H2s. My favorite footwear ever. They aren't exactly sandals, but they have heel straps and a solid, enclosed toe so stubbing is never a problem.

Tim

Well, they are listed as a sandal. ;) I have a pair of Newports that are going on 12 years at least. They are bullet proof. I ware them all summer for my go to footwear. I do not wear them hiking the smaller stuff too often because I hate debris under my feet and you really can't prevent that. Having said that, you could easily hike a 4K in these.
https://www.rei.com/product/796831/keen-newport-sandals-mens

Another vote for KEEN NEWPORT H2 as a great sandal for the beach, city, and rail trails. I have your same requirements: heal strap, nothing between the big toe and the index toe.

For summer dayhikes and backpacking with lots of water crossings, I wear SALOMON TECHAMPHIBIAN 3. I hate rock hopping and greatly prefer to be able to wade right across with no delays.

SALOMON TECHAMPHIBIAN 3 sheds water easily and debris doesn't get in. I replace their standard insert with SUPERFEET inserts and add safety pins to the heal straps to lock them in place. The gummy soles have the trade off of wear vs traction. I got two summers of very heavy use on one set and am going on four summers of light to moderate use on the current set.
https://www.salomon.com/us/product/techamphibian-3.html

Another vote for the Newports, and also don't reallly consider them a sandal. They are used as a camp shoe and when we were out west crossing braided streams, I just switched to them and stayed in them for a while vs. changing back and forth

I wore Chaco's for many years. Very solid, great strap system and a high grade Vibram sole. I saw guys climbing Pikes peak in them. A few years ago, on a whim I bought a pair of Crocs. My sandal days are over, they are the best.

Walmart. All I ever buy. This year's selection is poor (the black one has terrible cosmetics, to the point where I even I won't wear it; the brown one has too much padding.) I'm still wearing black and brown from a couple years ago. Perfectly comfortable, great traction, about $12 per pair. I hope next year is a good selection so I can stock up. No $90 sandals for me.

“ For summer dayhikes and backpacking with lots of water crossings, I wear SALOMON TECHAMPHIBIAN 3. I hate rock hopping and greatly prefer to be able to wade right across with no delays. “ I like this idea. I’ve been considering it for a while. But , do you wear socks with these shoes.

Walmart. All I ever buy. This year's selection is poor (the black one has terrible cosmetics, to the point where I even I won't wear it; the brown one has too much padding.) I'm still wearing black and brown from a couple years ago. Perfectly comfortable, great traction, about $12 per pair. I hope next year is a good selection so I can stock up. No $90 sandals for me.
We think alike.����

“ For summer dayhikes and backpacking with lots of water crossings, I wear SALOMON TECHAMPHIBIAN 3. I hate rock hopping and greatly prefer to be able to wade right across with no delays. “

I like this idea. I’ve been considering it for a while. But , do you wear socks with these shoes.

Yes, the idea is to find a hiking shoe that sheds water and dries quickly with just the heat from your feet and the pumping action of walking, kind of the opposite of water proof.

No, I don't wear socks. I do bring a set of socks for for camp or the ride home. Again the shoes dry out very fast since there isn't any material absorbing the water. I got a blister on one long backpack but that only happened once.

Next time I will be looking at Salomon Crossamphibian Swift Water Shoes. You can slip your feet into the TECHAMPHIBIANs, like slippers, which is nice in the middle of the night, but the tension strap on the heel doesn't stay tight without a small safety pin.

I also want to look at the INOV-8 line, but those are expensive so the tread would really need to be robust.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/142916/inov8-roclite-290-trail-running-shoes-mens

Last edited:
Yes, the idea is to find a hiking shoe that sheds water and dries quickly with just the heat from your feet and the pumping action of walking, kind of the opposite of water proof.

No, I don't wear socks. I do bring a set of socks for for camp or the ride home. Again the shoes dry out very fast since there isn't any material absorbing the water. I got a blister on one long backpack but that only happened once.

Next time I will be looking at Salomon Crossamphibian Swift Water Shoes. You can slip your feet into the TECHAMPHIBIANs, like slippers, which is nice in the middle of the night, but the tension strap on the heel doesn't stay tight without a small safety pin.

I also want to look at the INOV-8 line, but those are expensive so the tread would really need to be robust.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/142916/inov8-roclite-290-trail-running-shoes-mens

I used to wear Salomon sandals very similar to the TechAmphibian (not sure what the model was, it was a while ago). I loved them except for one thing: the soles were really slippery on wet rock. If they've improved, maybe it's time to give them a second look, though I'm not sure I want to spend that much. These days I mostly avoid hiking in hot weather, so they won't get very much use.

I use the Inov-8 Roclite for trail running. It's a great lightweight runner, and the tread is great, but it's not in the same league of quick-drying as my old Salomons were, so I've never thought to try as a water shoe. Taking out the insole might help, but the fabric would still stay moist for a while.

Thank you for all the feedback. I went with the Keen Newports and have been quite happy with them, a month in. Easy on and off, and comfy. They do collect little pebbles and whatnot, but I didn't buy them to hike in, just for the rest of the time.

The feedback was very helpful!

Brian