Osseo Trail ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
I’m planning on hiking the bonds on Saturday. But,because of the amount of rain we’re getting right now, I’m concerned about the water crossings. I’ve done some checking, but I can’t find any reference to water crossings on the Osseo trail, which I can do as a backup just in case. Are there any crossings that might cause problems? Thanks for any advice.

The water crossings on the Bonds are high enough on the brook that unless you get inches the night before, it will drain just fine. Now if you had to cross the East Branch in two days, that might be an issue. (or if you cross Bondcliff brook at the fake crossing (don't cross, turn left) like we did and then re-crossed it to get back where we belonged)

Several years ago, when the Pemi and other rivers flooded in 2007, the trip up Whiteface was brook like with me walking in the brook/trail the whole way. The next day I did Owl's head by the regular crossings and never should have. I took the fisherman's BW on the way back. Liberty Brook was a calf deep crossing.

There are trips without brooks one could take if you want to avoid any crossing at all or do Bonds from Zealand.

I’m planning on hiking the bonds on Saturday. But,because of the amount of rain we’re getting right now, I’m concerned about the water crossings. I’ve done some checking, but I can’t find any reference to water crossings on the Osseo trail, which I can do as a backup just in case. Are there any crossings that might cause problems? Thanks for any advice.

I did some more checking and some recent trail reports said there are no water crossings! Never Mind! 😁

Osseo is pretty dry. Actually a good route to do, if everything else is high. I actually carry extra water on it for my dog if its hot.

Keep in mind no water crossings on a hot and humid day is a mixed blessing. There are a couple of springs coming out of the hillside on the old road bed down low but once you start zigzagging up the slope there is no water from there to the top and back. I expect given the forecast that heat exhaustion and leg cramps from not enough electrolytes will be common issue this weekend.

I plan to hike around the Owl via Lincoln Brook Trail and Franconia Brook trail on Saturday and will be able to comment on the many water crossings ;).

By the way this USGS steamflow gauge is great indication of the amount of water in the Pemi area

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nh/nwis/uv/?site_no=01074520&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

It shows the last seven days by default, you can see last nights and todays flow increase, check out tomorrow night and I expect it may be down to around below 200 CFS which means easy crossings

Good information. Thanks. I use “Nuun” electrolyte tabs mixed in with my water. I learned my lesson the hard way 2 yrs. ago while hiking these same 3 Bonds Mts. Luckily a fellow hiker gave me a couple. They really helped. I was cramping badly. They didn’t stop the cramps completely, but enough that I could finish fairly comfortably. I always use them now on more strenuous hikes.