Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Rocky Branch Trail From Jericho Road

  1. #1
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,060

    Rocky Branch Trail From Jericho Road

    Has anyone been on the Rocky Branch Trail this Summer from Jericho Road? Having a hard time determining if the road is actually open. I've seen several mentions of the Rocky Bridge being out but that appears to be on a Jencks Road and some sites had a Rocky Branch Road listed as closed. Don't see Jericho listed on sites I have been on. The WMNF site doesn't show it listed but many of the storm updates are still dated 2017. The TrailsNH map makes it look like the bridge is closed but the only bridge I remember on that road is at the parking lot (which would be no big deal)???

    And assuming road is fine and open has anyone been up the trail this way to Isolation? Trying to come up with some sort of long loop hike idea close to rivers this weekend and with all the road closures and washed out bridges of the past few years I can't make a decision on an area. I know that valley gets hit pretty hard and if there was flooding substantial enough to knock out the bridge near parking lot I expect there is some pretty hefty destruction on that route.

    If anyone has info on the area it would be appreciated. Thanks.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jazzbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Posts
    1,073
    I recall Steve Smith posted fairly recent and detailed report on his Mountain Wandering Blog describing excursion he took back in June 2016 after WMNF did trail repairs after Irene Storm. I hope this link works for you. The bridge looks pretty good in satellite map layer on Caltopo

    http://mountainwandering.blogspot.co...+BRANCH+VALLEY
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 06-28-2018 at 07:01 PM.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #44 of WNH48

    "Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

  3. #3
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbo View Post
    I recall Steve Smith posted fairly recent and detailed report on his Mountain Wandering Blog describing excursion he took back in June 2016 after WMNF did trail repairs after Irene Storm. I hope this link works for you. The bridge looks pretty good in satellite map layer on Caltopo

    http://mountainwandering.blogspot.co...+BRANCH+VALLEY
    Thanks for that link but 2016 is pre-2017 Halloween storm. I have actually done this loop before on 7/23/17 after the post Irene clean up and while it was fine but there were definitely places where it was hit hard and I could see future problems in another bad storm like last OCT. Lot of places where trail is rerouted right on river bank from dead ends that abruptly drop 30'. I haven't seen any trip reports from that side so far this year so I am wondering if there has been more damage.

    I found the trail very scenic, interesting and secluded but I don't want to be bushwhacking through a blow down nightmare with temps pushing 90 deg this weekend.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

  4. #4
    Senior Member JustJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ipswich, Ma.
    Posts
    388
    I'm pretty sure Jericho is still closed. The last report here is from 6/9 but I heard it somewhere else on FB.

    https://www.facebook.com/WhiteMountainNF/

  5. #5
    Senior Member dailey7779's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    305
    Within the last hour the USFS posted the following on their FB page...

    "This will be the final general #roadsroundup until winter unless something changes. ALL of our seasonal roads are open except the ones listed below (Click here to view on FB). Wild River is being worked on and should be open sometime this summer. Due to extensive damage and major repair required, Long Pond, Oliverian, Rocky Branch, and Sawyer River will likely not open this year."

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    162
    Silver lining: fewer coolers at Sawyer Pond?

  7. #7
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Posts
    1,695
    Quote Originally Posted by dailey7779 View Post
    Within the last hour the USFS posted the following on their FB page...

    "This will be the final general #roadsroundup until winter unless something changes. ALL of our seasonal roads are open except the ones listed below (Click here to view on FB). Wild River is being worked on and should be open sometime this summer. Due to extensive damage and major repair required, Long Pond, Oliverian, Rocky Branch, and Sawyer River will likely not open this year."
    Knowing that, if it's closed at the gate before the bridge, then it's not much of a walk to the regular trail head. If it's gated past the last house, then it's a bit of a slog.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

  8. #8
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by dailey7779 View Post
    Within the last hour the USFS posted the following on their FB page...

    "This will be the final general #roadsroundup until winter unless something changes. ALL of our seasonal roads are open except the ones listed below (Click here to view on FB). Wild River is being worked on and should be open sometime this summer. Due to extensive damage and major repair required, Long Pond, Oliverian, Rocky Branch, and Sawyer River will likely not open this year."
    I saw that on Facebook this afternoon as well. However, is Rocky Branch Rd the road to the trailhead for Rocky Branch Trail? Every map I've ever looked at (and I believe even the WMG) references that road as Jericho Road and/or Jenks Hill Rd (which apparently is the last little bit before the parking area, not Rocky Branch Rd so I am unclear if this is the same road or not? Wondering if Rocky Branch Rd is the gravel road after the gate and bridge that goes in a bit and veers left where you go straight for trail. TrailsNH has that bridge out (after parking lot and gate) so that would make sense I guess.

    At any rate, I guess it is irrelevant because I decided on another route. If I have time SUN afternoon I may try to cruise through there and get a definitive answer to satisfy my curiosity.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

  9. #9
    Senior Member KV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South of the notches
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I saw that on Facebook this afternoon as well. However, is Rocky Branch Rd the road to the trailhead for Rocky Branch Trail? Every map I've ever looked at (and I believe even the WMG) references that road as Jericho Road and/or Jenks Hill Rd (which apparently is the last little bit before the parking area, not Rocky Branch Rd so I am unclear if this is the same road or not? Wondering if Rocky Branch Rd is the gravel road after the gate and bridge that goes in a bit and veers left where you go straight for trail. TrailsNH has that bridge out (after parking lot and gate) so that would make sense I guess.

    At any rate, I guess it is irrelevant because I decided on another route. If I have time SUN afternoon I may try to cruise through there and get a definitive answer to satisfy my curiosity.
    Yesterday's post on a facebook group called Hike the 4000 footers of New Hampshire (post by Scott Morra) has some pics. I know this is moot, but will satisfy your curiosity, I think.
    Life is a trip. Pack Accordingly.

  10. #10
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by KV View Post
    Yesterday's post on a facebook group called Hike the 4000 footers of New Hampshire (post by Scott Morra) has some pics. I know this is moot, but will satisfy your curiosity, I think.
    His post is for Mt Clinton Rd, not Jericho Rd. Although I expect there are similar problems. Never did get a chance to check it out last SUN. Thanks for keeping this in mind.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

  11. #11
    Senior Member KV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South of the notches
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    His post is for Mt Clinton Rd, not Jericho Rd. Although I expect there are similar problems. Never did get a chance to check it out last SUN. Thanks for keeping this in mind.
    Sorry, wrong page. It was the 4,000 footer club - picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	36770707_10212159779136119_6153487532894978048_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	6019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36739862_10212159779336124_1020577267111165952_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	6020
    Life is a trip. Pack Accordingly.

  12. #12
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,060
    Quote Originally Posted by KV View Post
    Sorry, wrong page. It was the 4,000 footer club - picsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	36770707_10212159779136119_6153487532894978048_n.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	6019Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36739862_10212159779336124_1020577267111165952_n.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	6020
    Yah that's pretty bad. I finally took a drive up Jericho Rd yesterday and it is closed at the gate where the large gravel turn around is, maybe 2/3 of the way up.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •