Bonds traverse opinions ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

Reaction score
Twice I’ve hiked the Bonds from Zealand to Lincoln Woods.It is strenuous and too long for me. I’d like to do it again,but as an overnighter. I’d more than likely stay at the Guyot campground. Do I need to make a reservation if I do? Also,which would be the most efficient way to tackle them? Should I hike them all first then go back to the campground,or after I stay over then do them? Or what? Also can I leave my car parked at the trailhead overnight?

Personally, I would avoid the Guyot tent site(s) unless you are with a large group. Rumor has it, on popular days, there can be 90+ campers there on weekends. Mid-week, I have found camps (like kids' summer camps) tend to go on overnights there (as well as 13 Falls, etc.). SO, if living on top of a bunch of people you don't know isn't your cup of tea, I would suggest keeping within wilderness regulations (200' from trails, some waterways, etc.) and make your own camp in the woods. From where you camp, you can decide which option to getting the peaks is best. Depends on when you start - if you start mid-day or early morning. There are decent spots that are legal. You can park your car in either lot (with a parking pass) overnight.

Additional answers:
- There are no reservations at backcountry campsites. It's all first come first served.
- If the tent platforms and shelter are full at Guyot, the caretaker will direct you to an approved overflow site up on the ridge. They're not great but it's a place to set up a tent.
- For efficiency of hiking the three, it depends on where you are camping. If staying at the shelter it's common to hit West Bond for sunset, then go over Bond and Bondcliff on your way out.
- If you're hiking mid-week and solo you stand a fair chance of being in a fairly comfortable tenting spot. On the weekends, all bets are off.

Yes , you can. Leave your car overnight, but make sure you have a parking pass. The other feedback is spot on. If you want to sneak off the ridge, consider a hammock. Guyot is still a good water source, but it's a ways down.

Yes , you can. Leave your car overnight, but make sure you have a parking pass. The other feedback is spot on. If you want to sneak off the ridge, consider a hammock. Guyot is still a good water source, but it's a ways down.

Thanks you guys & Rebecca for the information. I have a senior citizen lifetime parking pass. Is it good for overnight?

… I would suggest keeping within wilderness regulations (200' from trails, some waterways, etc.) and make your own camp in the woods ...

Just in case it's of tactical value at the time you make the trip ... the stretch of the Bondcliff Trail that's south of Mt. Guyot's alpine zone and north of the spur trail to the Guyot campsite is *not* within the Pemi Wilderness, and hence is not subject to the 200' setback rule. Also, unless under the caretaker's explicit instructions, make sure you're north of the campsite's Forest Protection Area sign. Of course, Leave No Trace practices are really important to insuring that this and similar areas can continue to remain open to camping.

Alex

Last edited: