Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommendations For My 2nd GPS Unit - Anything New The Past Few Years?

Quote Originally Posted by Nessmuk View Post
    I come from a past life as a USAF navigator (back when navigators were actually used in aircraft), wherein I used a map (chart) on my desk in front of me with north always being up. That is how I have set the map display on my GPS units as I find it easier to orient the map in my brain to the earth and my direction of travel that way, the same way that I hike with a topo map. I do not use a GPS as a magnetic compass ever, and never will, so I do not calibrate it as a compass. I will always use a real compass when I need to know direction on earth. I do not use the altimeter and do not cycle through that display at all on any GPS.

During the Yukon canoe race I need to have the most detailed maps possible to avoid islands and shoals, so degrading to the base map display is impractical. I have the purchased Garmin edition of the Yukon topo map installed.

All the tips you give do not explain why my Garmin60Csx batteries will last for 24+ hours before I need to replace them, no matter if it is displaying GPS compass, GPS map, or the computation screen. No matter if tracking is on or off, I have tested it both ways in all units. I actually have 4 different 60Csx units (purchased while I could due to frustration with my 62), and all model 60 units are equally reliable and long lasting. But the 62s and 64st models both die at around 7 hours, maybe a little minimally longer for the 64. I use lithium batteries in all units. The backlight is set to turn off within 30 seconds on the 60, the 62 and the 64. I have tried turning off everything that is turnoffable ( tracking etc) on the newer units. However I do not see an option to turn off BT, it only offers send or receive options no way to turn "off" - maybe that is the problem. I came really close to throwing the 62 into the Yukon River during a 1000 mile race due to its frustratingly poor battery performance. I had dual 60s one displaying map and the other on the compass and direction to next waypoint function mounted in front of me in the bow (GPS computed compass, not magnetic mode) while a paddle partner in my boat was trying to use the 62 as my backup. The 60Csx gets turned on well before the race begins and lasts through an entire day and following night, the 62 dies at 7 hours from being turned on after race start. i could set my watch for battery change time.

I first bought the 60Csx because that is the one that was issued to the NYSDEC rangers at the time. Now they have 62s and 64s, but the battery life is not such a time critical problem for them. During a recent SAR incident I even had to show a ranger how to use his 62. If I use a 62 or 64 during a SAR incident, perhaps I can keep ahead of the dead batteries, but that is not realistically possible during a nonstop marathon canoe race.
    I was not explaining why your older Garmin device lasts longer. I think you will see that info in Doug's post below. I was just giving tips based on my engineering background on how to extend battery life in general.

But, in a nutshell, I suspect that the performance of the 60 unit (resolution, lcd update speed, illumination technology, processor speed (horsepower) , memory width, bit error rate) is inferior to the newer units.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Based on your recommendation and some additional research I took the plunge and got a Montana 610 on Amazon (new but it was a lower price than Garmin and the "mainstream" outdoor retailers). Took it for a test drive today and I love it! While the menus are somewhat different than my old GPSMAP62 it basically works the same way so I was able to figure out everything I do on my old unit pretty quickly. I was concerned about getting a touchscreen model but it really is pressure dependent unlike a cell phone as others mentioned and it worked very well. I'm sure even in light gloves it would be no problem.

Only drawbacks: it is a fairly big unit, a bit larger than I realized, so it will be riding in a carry pouch on my hipbelt as opposed to being clipped on with a carabiner. Other drawback is that I didn't get one with maps. It had the World Wide shaded relief map included so I was hoping that would be serviceable but it really is horrible. Nothing more than a high level street map. Have to see what is out there for free downloads. I didn't find the Garmin maps all that accurate to start with.
    I have it mounted on my shoulder strap with a Nitze holder.. works well. so does the wife..

Free download maps are hoaky... get the 24 K's from Garmin.. or the 100 k at least.. Fairly big is relative...I think it's just right.. carries well and tracks excellat in my Nitze pouch. and is only a few ounces more. Just did Craig Baldface n and s.. tracked A1 the whole hike.. even with all the rock scrambling backwards,upwards you name it..

I use the magnetic bearings in it with my compass and use it often for our functions during the hike...works A1.. also I love the altimeter and find it's spot on on the summits and shows great ascent decent in the data fields.

I use the track up mostly.. this is the way I used it in my marine life.. following the narrow twisting can't see 10 ft ahead fogged out channels and waterways.
    Last edited by CaptCaper; 07-19-2018 at 03:35 PM.