Two Loops in Macedonia Brook SP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My girlfriend Maure and I spent last weekend camping at Macedonia Brook State Park in Kent. On Saturday she and I did a 2.5 mile loop east of the brook (Blue to Green to Orange Trails), and then I soloed the Blue Trail, which is a six mile loop around the park, including Cobble Mountain.

Our campsite was right near where the Blue and Orange Trails intersect, so we started and ended both loops right from there. It was a hot day, and a little buggy, but bearable. The highlight of the loop I did with Maure was a deer standing in front of us on the Green Trail. (Yes, someone thought it would be a good idea to use green blazes for a forest trail.)

This was my first time in MBSP in decades. When my kids were young, though, we did some family trips there, and I would always hike the Blue Loop, which at the time was a major effort for me. This time it was still a bit of an effort, but never too much.

I went counter-clockwise. There weren't a lot of other hikers, but I did meet a few. Memorable sections include a wide flat stretch in the northwest section, which I didn't remember from my previous hikes, a real pleasant ridge walk in the southeast section, and of course Cobble Mountain, in the middle of the western section. Cobble's not very high, but all of the approach trails have very steep sections. The summit has some nice views out over New York State.

There were lots of blueberry bushes, but except for near the clearing on the summit of Cobble the berries were all green. A few of the ones on the summit were ripe, though.

After the hikes we went into Kent for ice cream, and on the way back I gave a ride to AT through hiker Gbolt, who was hitching back to the trail.

Here are the pictures.

--

Cumulus

NE111 in my 50s: 115/115 (67/67, 46/46, 2/2)
NE111 in my 60s: 56/115 (44/67, 11/46, 1/2)
NEFF: 50/50; Cat35: 39/39; WNH4K: 40/48; NEHH 89/100
LT NB 2009; CT NB 2017

"I don't much care where [I get to] --" said Alice, "-- so long as I get somewhere," ...
"Oh, you're sure to do that," said the Cat, "if you only walk long enough."
- Lewis Carroll