Thread: A to Z Trail Re-Route

A to Z Trail Re-Route

While hiking Tom, Field, and Willey today, I came across a pretty large tarp-covered campsite, marked by surveyor's tape, just below the junction of Avalon and A to Z. On the way down, I discovered a crew doing a reroute of the A to Z trail so that it doesn't drop down into the stream and then re-climb (this is just above the junction.) They expected to finish by end of summer, with a goal of keeping the trail more or less level, although I could not see any way it doesn't drop at least a little bit when crossing that stream.

Tim
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 07-07-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    While hiking Tom, Field, and Willey today, I came across a pretty large tarp-covered campsite, marked by surveyor's tape, just below the junction of Avalon and A to Z. On the way down, I discovered a crew doing a reroute of the A to Z trail so that it doesn't drop down into the stream and then re-climb (this is just above the junction.) They expected to finish by end of summer, with a goal of keeping the trail more or less level, although I could not see any way it doesn't drop at least a little bit when crossing that stream.

Tim
    Is that the spot that gets packed down and icy in Winter and becomes a bit of a luge track on the upper part of the ravine?
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Is that the spot that gets packed down and icy in Winter and becomes a bit of a luge track on the upper part of the ravine?
    Probably. If you’re going to Tom, you go right on A to Z where Avalon goes left. Very shortly you drop down 40 or 50 feet and then back up.

Tim