Thread: Mittersill

Mittersill

Is the trail to the summit of Mittersill still officially closed? Its going on 3 years isn't it? If so, can you still climb it without getting your car towed or receiving any other sanctions? Can you park close enough to the trailhead? I will be staying very close by in August and I've meant to do that hike for a couple of years now. At 4 miles round trip, it looks like a good half day hike on a "rest" day in between longer hikes. I've seen photos and I like that perspective on Cannon and the Cannon Balls. If feeling good, I might continue on across the saddle to Cannon.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

In my opinion, this trail was a certified POS when it was open. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Climbs the ski trails and is loaded with loose and eroded grus soil, tedious and unenjoyable. I understand since I hiked it it was gone down hill, erosion wise (like all Cannon trails,) and is why it was closed. No thanks, hard pass...
    Last edited by TDawg; 07-08-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TDawg View Post
    In my opinion, this trail was a certified POS when it was open. I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Climbs the ski trails and is loaded with loose and eroded grus soil, tedious and unenjoyable. I understand since I hiked it it was gone down hill, erosion wise (like all Cannon trails,) and is why it was closed. No thanks, hard pass...
    I've not hiked it in about 5 years but I would vouch for the conditions TDawg mentioned. You can find side trails/ski trails to bypass some of these badly sections in some...but not all...cases. That said, once you reach the ridge and use it to hike up Cannon, it is pretty cool. You have to hike up the ski trail a bit to find the trail on the left...there might not be any signs any longer...that I'm not sure about.
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

That's too bad. I was working off this Steve Smith report from a few years ago and it did not look as bad as you are both describing. Thanks for the replies.
    http://mountainwandering.blogspot.co...r-getting.html

The view from Mittersill summit is great, yes.

Maybe its that one section on Steve’s blog that really sticks out in my mind. Either way hiking ski trails isn’t my taste. Also I saw the upper part had been blasted, not sure the condition of that in the 4 years since.

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikepho...-2014-0916.php

Quote Originally Posted by TDawg View Post
    The view from Mittersill summit is great, yes.

Maybe its that one section on Steve’s blog that really sticks out in my mind. Either way hiking ski trails isn’t my taste. Also I saw the upper part had been blasted, not sure the condition of that in the 4 years since.

http://www.franklinsites.com/hikepho...-2014-0916.php
    You are right, that blasted area looks really ugly. Got to love that moose photo though! Guy looks like he's smiling for the camera. I never hike ski trails either but this mid 3K peak is so close to where I'll be staying and I've done Bald Mt/Artists Bluff and Pemigewasset and the Sugarloaves already so it seemed like a natural for an in-between day. I've got a 6 day window this year and the Percy Peaks are my #1 goal since I've never been that far north in NH. I also plan to reprise Moosilauke which I haven't done in 25 years. The rest of the agenda remains open.

Cannon management was opposed to the trail from day one, but was overruled by Concord. Rather than embrace the idea, they did everything they could to dissuade hikers from using the trail, including having a closed sign at the top of the trail.

Mittersill was a beautiful place to hike prior to the construction projects. Beautiful, narrow, historic trails that were a delight to hike year round.

Especially in light of the parking issues in the notch, management would be wise to create an attractive route up Mittersill and Cannon from the otherwise empty Mittersill parking lots. It wouldn't solve the parking problem, but it would certainly alleviate some stress on the lots and trails in the notch.

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    I agree with R21 suggestion to improve Mittersill trail as it would help disperse usage off Lafayette ridge and utilizes existing under-utilized parking. I've hiked ski trails before and been impressed with how good erosion control can be on such steep terrain. Ski trails offer great views, but in hot humid July I prefer to stay out of sun and in the woods as much as possible. TR's on Mittersill go back to 2014. Time for new detailed report to see if they've done anything to mitigate the blasted section.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #44 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)