Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North And South Brother

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    It had been raining so it is quite possible that the running water on the trail was rain from 48 hours earlier. It was 1-2” deep ascending Norrh Brother and 6” +/- on places lower down where it might be too late in the day to help you much.

You could always bring water storage, treat and fill at Teardrop, and cache at the ridge. Of course then you are going out and back both ways. This is the less technical winter route.

Tim
    I'll probably just carry my normal 3L and not worry about it. I still have to sit down and plot out the miles for the hikes, etc. Not a huge deal in the Summer carrying the water because there isn't much else to bring, even in my wildly overloaded pack.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    BTW, I have not been to plane wreck site, the westerly summit is generally accepted as the actual highest summit. The hike to the East summit adds 1/4 mile out and back in thick brush from the west summit and the wreck is reportedly on the south slope. The west summit used to have part of the wrecked planes avionics built into the cairn.
    I was the person who submitted the recent New England Trail Conditions Report. It was a great experience visiting the wreck - the most useful resource I had was this page:

https://alavigne.net/Outdoors/ImageG...otherFort/?n=3

Basically, it's just a matter of sniffing out faint paths once you get back into the scrub going east along the Fort summit ridge. These paths consolidate into one flagged route that leads to the plane about 150 vertical feet below the ridge on the south side. It doesn't take too long but there's definitely some thrashing around to get there.

BTW, I didn't see any wreck parts near the summit cairn (or didn't look hard enough). The highest point of Fort seems to be the easterly of two small bumps at the west end of the summit ridge.

That radio from the wreck was on the summit cairn on my first visit in '06 but gone when I returned in '11. For a solemn place like that, where the wreck is a memorial to the seven men who died there, souvenir-hunters are a bane. It may be my imagination, but I seemed to see fewer small pieces from the wreck in '11. They get a few dust-collectors that end up in a corner of the garage and the site is slowly depleted. Not a site to which I would encourage mass visits.

Alzhmr must be setting in as I was there last year. What's DUPR?

Quote Originally Posted by rup View Post
    Alzhmr must be setting in as I was there last year. What's DUPR?
    Day Use Parking Reservation. I believe it is only required at the popular trail heads like Roaring Brook, Katahdin Stream, Abol, etc but don't quote me on that. I was always camped in the park and never needed one.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Day Use Parking Reservation. I believe it is only required at the popular trail heads like Roaring Brook, Katahdin Stream, Abol, etc but don't quote me on that. I was always camped in the park and never needed one.
    Katahdin trailheads only.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.