Help Finding New Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave.m

Reaction score
My boots are dying and help identifying candidates for a replacement would be much appreciated. It's super sad that the nearest EMS to me is nearly 50 miles away - something that still stuns me. And it's been over 10 years since I looked at boots in earnest.

Before I list the must-haves and nice-to-haves, some background... Years of cycling combined with flat feet have left my feet something of a mess. I also wear size 14 boots and have found that designs that are very stiff for people with size 9 boots are flimsy slippers when made in size 13 or 14. Even day hikes in the Whites while wearing light hikers will leave my feet wrecked for days. I really need footwear that is very stiff under foot. Most mid height hikers I've seen fail miserably on this point.

The purpose of this boot is for 3-season hiking in the Whites with either day hike or light, sub-30 lb backpacking loads. These boots will fill the slot in my boot line up just below my all leather Fabiano Rias (traditional full leather Norwegian welt boots).

Last comment... the boots that are dying are a pair of EMS Zealand boots, which were make-ups by Zamberlan (iirc). They are incredibly stiff under foot and have worked well but are coming apart. I'm looking into resoling them but am not optimistic.

MUST HAVE FEATURES
- Available in US 14. This rules out a bunch of options right off the bat.
- Stiff midsole. Stiff enough to prevent rock pressure from punching through.
- Approx 3 lb (in size 9) weight. If I can't save weight, I can just use my Fabianos.

NICE TO HAVE FEATURES
- Mid height at the ankle. I could go higher or lower.
- Non-waterproof. I prefer either leather or fabric shoes but accept I'm one of 7 people on the planet who think so.

Thanks for any and all suggestions...

Last edited:
You might consider LL Bean's Cresta. 1-piece leather upper (or leather and fabric). My all-leather size-9s weigh in at 3lb-3oz. Decent support both underfoot and ankle without being noticeably restrictive--just walked on lots of rocks last weekend (Mt Garfield Trail) and never felt a one. They fit me well (of course, YMMV). The only downside is a Gore-Tex lining with the net effect that my feet are always damp by the end of the day. (So there are 8 of us left.) Other than that I like them...

They also come 14's.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeText=cresta+boot&init=1

Doug

Last edited:
If you are any where near central NH, then you might want to pay a visit to Limmer Boots.
http://www.limmerboot.com/
They are long known for making boots customized to any feet, but they have in recent years made standard sizes off the shelf as well.
I have had 2 pairs of standard size Limmers (the lightweight model) and they are the best fitting most comfortable sturdy boots I have ever owned. Completely waterproof and easy to care for.

Last edited:
JFP, interesting find. Thanks. Any idea how A7 flex translates to the Whites?

No idea what A7 means. My Mammut Ridge Low shoes have pretty stiff soles for a hiking shoe. They're good for walking on the tops of pointy things.

My starter hiking boots were Crestas in size 13. They were great, sturdy, reliable, but just too heavy for me. I would recommend them, however. I've become a trail runner fan at this point...

Tim

No idea what A7 means. My Mammut Ridge Low shoes have pretty stiff soles for a hiking shoe. They're good for walking on the tops of pointy things.

JFB, your description is super helpful. Thanks a ton.

A7 flex is how the Mammut site describes the stiffness. Your testimony is much more helpful.

Being I wear size 14 and have the aweful time of finding sneakers or any other shoes that fit my right foot that is built a little different then the left. Back a few years ago I had Crestas.. but found them not great so I embarked on a quest. Tried many boots... one day at REI I put on a pair of Asolo TPS 520's.. So much better then the Crestas....right off the bat I felt the comfort. Since then I have many hundreds of miles on them.. I have 3 pairs now. One I leave in the camper and another is the first pair I wore the sole down some from many miles that I use around the woods at home. The latest pair is my serious hikers.

The Asolos can be resoled with OEM soles from Asolo and I had a pair of Fugitives done which came out awesome. The TPS 520's are the best between the two by far.

I can’t vouch for how they work in large sizes, but I also really like those Asolo boots. Actually I prefer the Asolo 535, which is the same as the 520 except... wait for it... no Gore Tex lining! I guess that makes me person #8.

I can’t vouch for how they work in large sizes, but I also really like those Asolo boots. Actually I prefer the Asolo 535, which is the same as the 520 except... wait for it... no Gore Tex lining! I guess that makes me person #8.

I don't know what is issue is with Gore Tex.. I don't sweat in them at all wearing Ragg Wools year round. Amazing boots again. Never had a shoe,work boot or sneaker that fit and wore like these 520's. Walking down steep hills is the clincher.. never lets my toes get crunched. Were the Fugitives and many other shoes' I've had will or let other parts of my feet jam,crunch or get blisters.. Blisters have never happened with these in many years. I do wear heavy wool's with them thou.

I also have flat feet, mine are pretty messed up from 12 years in the army and being overweight. Asolo Fugitive GTX and Lowa Camino GTX fit like a dream and are great for walking on knife-edge rocks. Both are available in size 14. The Caminos needed no real breaking-in, I bought a pair on a Sunday, did an easy couple mile hike Monday, and wore them up & down Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail Saturday with no problems or discomfort whatsoever (disclaimer: I always apply strength tape to my heels.) I use aftermarket footbeds in both for arch support, red Sole Sports in the Fugitives and green cork Soles in the Caminos.

I’ve also found Salewa Mountain Trainer shoes to have a nice stiff sole that's perfect for rocky trails, but the heel pockets are just too shallow for me and don’t lock my heels in. If the boots have the same soles but a deeper heel pocket they’ll probably work, too.

If you are any where near central NH, then you might want to pay a visit to Limmer Boots.
http://www.limmerboot.com/
They are long known for making boots customized to any feet, but they have in recent years made standard sizes off the shelf as well.
I have had 2 pairs of standard size Limmers (the lightweight model) and they are the best fitting most comfortable sturdy boots I have ever owned. Completely waterproof and easy to care for.

Dave, I'm sure you're aware of Limmers, but have talked with them about resoling your boots? 603.356.5378

I haven't tried them but New Balance 908s are a possibility. They have 3/4 rock plate. They have 14s listed in 3 widths

I recently posted NB summit K.O.M.s they are a heavy duty low cut trail runner with a rock plate. I backpacked for 3 days at BSP last week and the rock plate worked well on the long rocky backpack from the Northwest plateau over to Hunt trail and down Hunt. They don't offer the 4E width but do have standard and wide 14

I dread buying new boots, such a hassle. In the past I have found ordered as many as 10 pairs from REI, hoping for at least one pair that fits, send the rest back. Finding that one pair has fortunately happened, several times.

On my last trip to the states I had very limited time. Despite visits to REI and EMS stores, couldn't find any that fit my normal size and width. I was planning a lot of hiking and became so desperate, that I did something I've never done before--try two sizes larger than my normal size. They felt pretty good so I went with them.

I was concerned about the tripping factor, but my experience turned out better than expected. My gait adjusted, and tripping due to longer length was minimal. I suspect part of that is because I hike slower than in the past (an age thing).

Thinking outside the box worked this time. Still dread buying new boots.