Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking

Parking

Heading to ADKs for first time in awhile. I remember posts in past about crowds and consequent parking overflows at trail heads. What's the latest news / regs / advice???

They haven't screwed anything up too badly yet.

For better advice, name specific locations...

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Cascade and Porter (and Pitchoff) lots are now lined, in an attempt to (my assumption) limit parking to designated areas. Giant, the AMR lots, the Garden (which does have a shuttle), and the Loj are also very popular areas. The best advice is to go on a weekday or get a very early start.
    Last edited by Tom Rankin; 07-25-2018 at 05:45 AM.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

You should probably just park in Lake Placid and walk. More sporting that way anyway.

Latest DEC report says they will begin serious ticketing campaigns at overflowing parking lots. Holiday weekend last year they counted over 700 cars parked in an area with about 350 legal spots. If you are outside the lines at the new lots (which also include Chapel Pond and Roaring Brook) you are liable to get a ticket.

Very sad, and stunningly stupid. A PR and safety disaster in the making, by the idiot government we pay for. And still NOTHING for trail maintenance, better bathrooms, more rangers, trailhead education, etc. Like I said, very sad. I can only hope that the harm is not as bad as I expect it to be...

It's unfortunate that NYS is not spending even a small amount of tourist money on bathrooms, rangers, etc. Don't expect we'll see that unless there is a huge outcry.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

I was in Keene Valley over the weekend. The Garden was filled at 6:15 AM. There was overflow parking at the end of the road.

Ausable Rd parking in St. Huberts had plenty of room at 6:30 AM.

There was plenty of roadside parking at Giant / Rocky peak.

Overnight camping at the trailheads is not permitted. Get there early or plan on using the shuttle from Marcy field.

All lots had port-a-potties available

They have striped and are about to enforce parking. Lot's of safety complaints about cars parked along NY73, and people are pooping everywhere along the trail or just off. Read some of the FB hiking forums and hair on fire complaints about the impending regulations.

In my opinion the next step is a permit system. DEC is already experimenting with that in the Catskills.
    Last edited by Daniel Eagan; 08-14-2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: yet another typo

Would Permits allow you to show up late and guarantee you a parking spot? How are the Facebook groups doing outside of summer? Most of us know there is no such thing as a "hiking" season outside of the Greens and High Peaks rules during Mud Season. We laughed when people thought the season ended after Columbus Day.

There may end up being a season soon, start on Columbus Day and end when the bugs start to slow down. Appears that bugs do keep some hikers away.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

The only permit so far is for one swimming hole in the Catskills. DEC is afraid to do anything that would slow down the governor's campaign to bring in visitors. I think permits are on the horizon but down the road.

Here it comes:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/114668.html

Shockingly stupid and ill conceived.

Stay away from the Roaring Brook trailhead - the state is about to create a massive clusterf*** there, starting now.

There's this report too. I guess I'll really be rolling the dice heading there on Columbus weekend.

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/St...493587911.html

Yes, everyone is lining up to salute the flag that this is such a good idea. But if you stay away from the one or two areas where they are about to implement this cluster, you'll be fine. Just avoid the Roaring Brook / Chapel Pond corridor, and avoid Cascade Pass. It's easy to go around these areas on your way to come great destinations. Just study the road map.

(Sad that I am a resident of a town that's dependent on tourism, and here I am advising tourists to avoid my town...)