Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Owls Head (# 47)

Quote Originally Posted by jniehof View Post
    4K committee is still accepting the old summit. I make a point of at least sitting on the pointy rock that's the summit of North Kinsman and I made a point of getting to the new summit since I first did it in 2006, so I wouldn't accept it for myself, but you don't have to please me! I get the impression from the herd paths that most people are going past the old summit but not all the way to the new; I had to break out a bit to the summit in winter of 2017 when everything up to the old summit and then some was pretty hard packed.

There's a fairly clear sequence now (not clear trail, just "sequence of places") coming from the south: top of the slide, mostly level for a bit, then up to definite clearing with no views (old summit), down and across, maybe a tiny bit up to view of Franconia Ridge, then just about the point where you're convinced you've gone too far and are going back down, a bump up to the summit with the view of the Bonds. The view isn't open but it's fairly obvious
    If the 4k committee is accepting the old summit then so am I. lol. However, I will still need to do this as a winter hike so I will be sure to get to the "new" summit on that trip (maybe this year as I think this would make a good winter hike - although that slide will be, um, interesting, on ice).

Quote Originally Posted by Sematary View Post
    If the 4k committee is accepting the old summit then so am I. lol. However, I will still need to do this as a winter hike so I will be sure to get to the "new" summit on that trip (maybe this year as I think this would make a good winter hike - although that slide will be, um, interesting, on ice).

Most folks use the Brutus whack in winter

The winter route / Skidder 'whack (aka Brutus) is detailed here: Compass-bearing-for-BB

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

FWIW, the old summit of Owl’s Head was my Northeast 111 finishing peak back in 1997.

Took 20 years for me to go back for the new summit just before closing out the New England Hundred Highest last summer.

Covered every bump on the entire ridge for good measure since I never plan on going back again. (No offense to this fine peak.) This is what the cairn looked like 11 months ago ...

https://twitter.com/catamount05/stat...23217944707072
    Last edited by Puma concolor; 07-24-2018 at 09:23 PM.