Poison parsnip causes severe burns, blisters on woman's legs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
That's the title of the article. The incident took place in Vermont.

It talks about an 'invasive species' of 'poison parsnip'. Not sure this was Hogweed, or cow parsnip, but in any case, be aware of what these plants look like and avoid them, as you would poison ivy.

Cow Parsnip pics

Hogweed pics

The big difference to me is the sheer size of the Hogweed.

Full article https://www.yahoo.com/news/poison-parsnip-causes-severe-burns-blisters-womans-legs-152007184.html

Edit: Maybe a good time to download a plant ID App...

The pictures of this incident on FB were pretty nasty looking. I have had severe Poison Ivy incidents but this stuff makes that look tame. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Cow Parsnip has white flowers. This is a photo of one on Jefferson Notch Rd (photo took about a week ago).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heracleum_maximum

cowparsnip.jpg

A few years ago itt took me a while to discover why each spring i developed those pussy itchy blisters after working in the yard (though not as severe as those on that woman). I know what poison ivy looks like and did not ever notice any of that, so I was mystified. Then I learned that what I had was called "weed whackers dermatitis" and where it came from. Since then I have been at war with the easy to identify wild parsnip plant, to ensure that none of it reproducing on my land, even though it grows in great abundance on nearby roadsides. So far so good. Roundup is wonderful stuff (given proper precautions). So is a sharp shovel slicing below ground level.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/105364.html

Last edited:
The mature stuff has now turned brown and gone to seed. I don't know if it is still dangerous. Lessen next year's crop by bagging the seed heads in a black garbage bag and leaving to cook in the hot sun before disposing. New young plants can still be seen growing in roadside sand and would probably be still poisonous to touch. Kill with week killer chemicals or a sharp shovel below ground level.

OMG a new poison plant, just what we need.
This should giv3e everyone more incentive for backpacking the winter months.

Thanks for the heads up... I'll pass it on.

I meant a new invasive to worry about.

I havent seen any in the ADKs or Catskills but I did find a huge hog weed plant in long island near Jones Beach.

I am sorry -- I should have been clearer in my original message: the plant was introduced to North America about 250 years ago, in particular Canada/New England/New York, so it's been around for quite a while. It would appear that we're hearing "new old news" about its ability to cause skin burns.
The plant is native to Europe. It was brought here as an ornamental, as the young plant does have a pleasant looking leaf structure. But where I grew up in northern NY it never existed until it popped up in a big way about a dozen or so years ago. But now it thickly invades roadsides and open fields where I lived and played as a kid and later. I happen to be fairly sensitive to it. Try as I may to avoid any contact with it, every spring and early summer after I do yard work I seem to become affected with the rash and small blisters. I have declared war on it on my property, aggressively eliminating it where I can without coming in contact with any part of the plant.