Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: State to offer Shuttle Service from the Artist's Bluff lot to Lafayette Place

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Sounds like it's just about time to start leaving at 3:00 AM and getting home at 11:00 PM again.....

I assume if any of us are hiking Franconia Ridge, we are going mid-week. If the lot is this bad...…

Have to think someone is getting there late, taking the shuttle and getting back down in the dark and wondering where their ride back is? Would think this would be a good time to take shuttle in the AM and take the Greenleaf trail all the way back which brings you almost back to your car.
    I usually leave my house at 2:30AM and am generally hiking by 6:30AM. Even at that hour I've been by trailheads like Appalachia that are already full and overflowing onto the road. Just 3-4 years ago that was never the case. As much as I like the Franconia Ridge I almost never hike it. Far too many people and fuss for me, even in lousy weather.

EDIT:I'm talking weekends obviously, SAT in particular.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I usually leave my house at 2:30AM and am generally hiking by 6:30AM. Even at that hour I've been by trailheads like Appalachia that are already full and overflowing onto the road. Just 3-4 years ago that was never the case. As much as I like the Franconia Ridge I almost never hike it. Far too many people and fuss for me, even in lousy weather.
    I love Franconia Ridge as well, but in contrast to the sentiments of many, I find that there's plenty of mountain for everyone, even on 1000-person Saturdays.

There's not enough parking lot for everyone, but personally I find that to be a minor rather than major pain -- it's just necessary to manage arrival time accordingly.

Alex