State to offer Shuttle Service from the Artist's Bluff lot to Lafayette Place

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The traffic is MUCH lighter going home on Saturday than it is on Sunday!

Indeed. I normally hike on SAT but have had some events recently and also done some rare overnight trips so I've been stuck dealing with the SUN nightmare. I don't know how I used to go to North Conway every weekend years ago. Such a brutal ride.

Last Saturday around 4PM was same as usual.
dRlw1DSaM2mPDp6DCW_vg5_rW_IvJ_aG5opTO9dkDsBsMAh_orBEpVR05LhcJ_Q9hgAwvHoZM5NSVqnfAPgmnDqLWvECOK1zfoyCnbd7Jld4iUi-sxfZBUQELGGtz8hEIP-GF780bwSytixM41pFI51y-v-eZgSvA8ZuhtnFRkkUP-lR5SrFyWIwDWZSLFRpdTQjoeQ5uLYzf0uJCrmn4h4qb2SuUoeD8M5UrKC965Wc_Xzbe2xkWhBy_bbojcdf59t0zCF-fxfhYc387ysCz6JpWx6gn01jCcBqM9mBdF-B6KZbrXZGDP7yxy1OGON-ayp7sH1qnTl6jZjducIfk2Dnk-GkFjabzob_OyyciiEbODYtCOfW-_QvASaA92OqLNGR3kYxM3KW4NcKxyX84__F7j7Od-XUKCK6kegbV1pKoThPTYsHOG6w_ISaF9yNlKONqF_9-I9Ys1m0A8WiC7LwggLbd63Fhvhez4UO0EUBvKfWdgGEMG1HEmsZumPhB9kWxnJ2LhZurEBQj01ODcNMoPHzfyrocJB-sYqaGRT063V2f5ZnjbxZiURp-16vDWvsVPTBrdmodXhRYnixdiffvsJP2UB4jZvcBsPf=w800-h400-no

I've made the mistake a few times hitting North Conway at 5pm when Storyland close. What a mess. Now, I try to be through there before 4pm, or after 7pm. Saves me hours of frustration and mounting rage.

If you are talking about coming from RT 16 towards Glen there's an easy way to avoid that without adding much more than a couple miles. Not going to post on an open forum though.

Coming from Crawford Notch we always take Bear Notch Road in Bartlett to the Kanc..then head over to RT 16.. same time exactly. I've clocked it with a gps many times.. and proven it's same time from point to point..vs heading thru North Conway either by RT 16 or West Side..etc.

Unfortunately I have to go that way many times to pick up and bring back my Grandson from Dover usually on holidays and weekends..

153. West Side Rd. Thorn Hill Rd. I don't remember the last time North Conway traffic affected my hiking commute.

153. West Side Rd. Thorn Hill Rd. I don't remember the last time North Conway traffic affected my hiking commute.

They had to put up a guardrail on the 90-degree turn on 153 in Eaton Center (by Crystal Lake) because someone drove into the house. I suspect the use of real-time driving apps is increasing the use of side roads. Not a complaint so much as an observation, as people spreading their use out could improve traffic on the main routes.

Been there. Done that. Still get traffic jams at the end getting on Rte 16 (although it is obviously way better than coming straight through town). That was a much better short cut 10-15 years ago but I think everybody is "in the know" now with Google Maps, Waze and other navigation apps.

And of course it isn't just North Conway you have to avoid. It is pretty much all of NH. Lincoln, Meredith, Gorham, Concord, even Tamworth/Ossipee lately. The tolls on 93 and 95 both have high speed lanes now yet you still go through there at 10 mph during peak times. If you're on a major road near anywhere you can get gas, eat, get a cocktail or take the kids somewhere you can expect mayhem and delays.

And of course it isn't just North Conway you have to avoid. It is pretty much all of NH. Lincoln, Meredith, Gorham, Concord, even Tamworth/Ossipee lately. The tolls on 93 and 95 both have high speed lanes now yet you still go through there at 10 mph during peak times. If you're on a major road near anywhere you can get gas, eat, get a cocktail or take the kids somewhere you can expect mayhem and delays.

That's one reason why I moved out of the Merrimack Valley 42 years ago.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's just about time to start leaving at 3:00 AM and getting home at 11:00 PM again.....

I assume if any of us are hiking Franconia Ridge, we are going mid-week. If the lot is this bad...…

Have to think someone is getting there late, taking the shuttle and getting back down in the dark and wondering where their ride back is? Would think this would be a good time to take shuttle in the AM and take the Greenleaf trail all the way back which brings you almost back to your car.

Sounds like it's just about time to start leaving at 3:00 AM and getting home at 11:00 PM again.....

I assume if any of us are hiking Franconia Ridge, we are going mid-week. If the lot is this bad...…

Have to think someone is getting there late, taking the shuttle and getting back down in the dark and wondering where their ride back is? Would think this would be a good time to take shuttle in the AM and take the Greenleaf trail all the way back which brings you almost back to your car.

I usually leave my house at 2:30AM and am generally hiking by 6:30AM. Even at that hour I've been by trailheads like Appalachia that are already full and overflowing onto the road. Just 3-4 years ago that was never the case. As much as I like the Franconia Ridge I almost never hike it. Far too many people and fuss for me, even in lousy weather.

EDIT:I'm talking weekends obviously, SAT in particular.

I usually leave my house at 2:30AM and am generally hiking by 6:30AM. Even at that hour I've been by trailheads like Appalachia that are already full and overflowing onto the road. Just 3-4 years ago that was never the case. As much as I like the Franconia Ridge I almost never hike it. Far too many people and fuss for me, even in lousy weather.

I love Franconia Ridge as well, but in contrast to the sentiments of many, I find that there's plenty of mountain for everyone, even on 1000-person Saturdays.

There's not enough parking lot for everyone, but personally I find that to be a minor rather than major pain -- it's just necessary to manage arrival time accordingly.

Alex