Stupid Question On Lighting Canister Stoves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So why does the windscreen attach to the stove? Why can't you just have something that sits on the ground that blocks the wind like a triangular "brochure" shaped piece that you just unfold and stand near the stove? Does that still allow enough of a draft to blow out the stove? I've never used my JetBoil in truly windy conditions but wind has never really affected it at all. Guess this will have to be something I get used to and experiment with. Thanks for the ideas and links on the screen. Always learn something new when I ask questions here.

As in don't get something that encloses the can and stove as it risks overheating the can. https://www.optimusstoves.com/us/us/93-8018907-optimus-clip-on-windshield

I can't tell in photos how this attaches. Does it have a bracket with a hole that you thread between canister and burner? Description says it fits every gas canister so I am guessing that is how but if you can expand on that I'd appreciate it. Looks like a good product and its is certainly cheap enough.

So why does the windscreen attach to the stove? Why can't you just have something that sits on the ground that blocks the wind like a triangular "brochure" shaped piece that you just unfold and stand near the stove?

If the number of gas molecules stays the same, and you were to increase the temperature of the gas, then the pressure would increase. The risk of using a windscreen is that the reflected heat could heat up the canister and the gas it contains at a higher rate than you are reducing the the pressure through burning the gas. This could potentially cause the canister to explode, and that would not be good.

By attaching the windscreen to the burner, it is above the canister, so you don't have to worry about overheating the canister. In cold weather, canister stoves are problematic, because the gas is denser, so the pressure in the canister drops too low. Heating up the canister with a windscreen can help keep the canister pressure high enough.

Alcohol stoves are very easy to light with a firesteel, are weight competitive for 3 nights are less, get lighter every day as you burn off fuel, use a more sustainable fuel source, are utterly fail proof compared to cannister stoves.

Alcohol stoves do require some attention to windscreen use, but all stoves have a learning curve. There are lighter options but I end carrying a Trangia most times.

For winter I use a Svea and carry both a lighter and firesteel

I use a fire steel to light my canister stove and found it works well. Have not burnt off any hair or had a fireball. It does take some practice/coordination to turn stove on and have fire steel ready to use with two hands. I am comfortable lighting the stove this way. My wife is not. If you don't count grams/ounces a flint striker used to start propane or welding torches works well. They are around $5, replacement flint around $2. They do weight around 3 oz. We have used one for 4 or 5 years and have not replaced the flint.

We did try a MSR Piezo Igniter for a short time but found that it was not reliable, especially in damp and wet weather. They are a handheld piezo lighter for stoves that did not come equipped with a piezo lighter.

Alcohol stoves are very easy to light with a firesteel, are weight competitive for 3 nights are less, get lighter every day as you burn off fuel, use a more sustainable fuel source, are utterly fail proof compared to cannister stoves.

Alcohol stoves do require some attention to windscreen use, but all stoves have a learning curve. There are lighter options but I end carrying a Trangia most times.

For winter I use a Svea and carry both a lighter and firesteel

This. I moved on to the Fancee Feest from the Trangia, though, because of the built in pot stand.

My SVEA is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

This. I moved on to the Fancee Feest from the Trangia, though, because of the built in pot stand.

My SVEA is one of my favorite pieces of gear.

For solo hiking, I like my Batchstovez 2.0 which is one of the many BudLight bottle type side burner stoves. It's super light, is its own pot stand and works well with tall but thin solo pots. More importantly, its a fill and let it burn all the way out type stove, which I can manage when traveling alone reasonably well.

With a party of 2 or more, I find I want to light and relight my stove more often, typically because somebody wants another cup of tea. For short burns and warm ups, I just find the Trangia easier to deal with given it's ability to store fuel in it. Trade offs.