Stupid Question On Lighting Canister Stoves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I've been on 3 overnight backpacking trips this Summer (an extreme rarity for me - lucky if I do one every 5 years) so I've been thinking a lot about ways to eliminate weight with redundant items,etc. One thing I am looking at is eliminating my JetBoil and replacing with one of those burners like MSR Pocket Rocket 2 type burners and a simple pot. I have become quite used to the piezo click lighting thing on the Jetboil but it doesn't appear that these small burners have that. I'd hate to start having to carry a lighter, matches, etc just for the stove and got to wondering if these stoves can be lit with a fire steel (which I always have in my McGyver bag anyway). Is that dangerous? I'm guessing no because that is essentially what the piezo thing does but it is focused right near the burner and fuel as opposed to showered randomly all over the stove and fuel canister. The fire steel is highly reliable too so I don't have to concern myself with a broken lighter, wet matches, etc.

I've Googled the topic and there are many videos of people doing just that but I am generally uncomfortable around combustibles and just because you see it on the internet doesn't mean it is a good idea. Whiteblaze had a lengthy thread on the topic that was pretty much 50% Never Do That! and 50% It's Fine With Practice. Big issue seemed to be wasted fuel more than a fire ball setting you on fire. How fast you go from getting gas flow to creating sparks seems to be the learning curve (not so different from a gas grill in the backyard) So does anyone do that? Am I correct in assuming it is safe or should I add fire retardant fleece and welding gloves to my hiking kit? Thanks in advance.

Why not carry a baby bic? Much lighter than a steel and when wet makes just as many sparks. I include it in my compass and map ziploc bag.

I understand the thought, like it...

But just pack a lighter, why make things harder than they need to be? Its already tough enough backcountry cooking when you’re tired at the end of a long day.

I got a Soto Pocket Torch for XMas one year, super handy for lighting a pocket rocket (campfire, anything...). Do yourself a favor...

With that said, I think you’ll be fine using a stone in calm conditions.

Last edited:
Why not carry a baby bic? Much lighter than a steel and when wet makes just as many sparks. I include it in my compass and map ziploc bag.

Pretty much everybody and their brother recommends the mini Bic (which of course I currently carry). I personally find it super annoying. It seems like no matter what direction I hold it in the flame burns my fingers, especially lighting tinder where sometimes you need to let the flame burn a few seconds until it catches. Tried holding it in a variety of positions and it always gets me. :(

I understand the thought, like it...

But just pack a lighter, why make things harder than they need to be? Its already tough enough backcountry cooking when you’re tired at the end of a long day.

I got a Soto Pocket Torch for XMas one year, super handy for lighting a pocket rocket (campfire, anything...). Do yourself a favor...

With that said, I think you’ll be fine using a stone in calm conditions.

Is it really that hard? Mt fire steel throws a pretty huge burst of sparks when I use it. I wouldn't have thought it would be that big a deal. I just didn't know if the canister could literally explode if too much gas got out. Guess I'll stay with a lighter and use the fire steel as a back up.

It probably isn’t that hard, and in theory it should work fine. But I’ve always just skipped the possible fuel waste, singed fingers, and extra effort and used my lighter or torch. Boom, easy. Easy is good when backpacking.

I just tried lighting my Pocket Rocket with a regular size BIC lighter and had no problems. I hold the lighter vertically near the burner with the flame between my thumb and the burner, then slowly open the valve.

I don't recommend the method shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzmY6HsX6Gc

Last edited:
I used a pocket rocket for the majority of the AT over 10 years, I very quickly switched to a bic after messing with matches on one or two trips. I have a hanging heat shield that partially obscures the burner but the bic is a lot easier than a match. First thing you will learn with pocket rocket is it does not work well in wind or even a light breeze. You either need to resign yourself to finding a way to block the breeze or rig up a shield. My hanging shield fits in my pot and extends my canister life 20 to 30%. There would be no good way to light my stove with fire steel as the shield would get in the way.

I haven't played with a firesteel, so I don't know how reliable it is in terms of generating enough heat to reliably ignite a stove (or how factors like wind would affect that). If it takes you an unpredictable number of strikes, you've got increased potential for an incident that removes your eyebrows. Not hugely different from using matches with a damp striker, or a lighter with cold fingers, both of which I've done many times. As always, don't lean over the stove while lighting it, and if it takes more than a few seconds, turn the stove off and wait a while (and/or fan the air) before trying again.

I'd be more worried about sparks accidentally going where they're not intended, whether that's nylon gear or dry spruce needles on the ground.

You can buy lighters with extensible necks so you never burn your fingers. I generally carry a $1 plastic lighter (the transparent kind so I know there's fuel in it) because that's small and light and available and I haven't used up the fuel, but something like this might suit you:

https://www.lighterusa.com/products/vertigo-summit-soft-flame-camping-lighter

There are also some sturdier (but less compact) options on the market, e.g.: https://www.zippo.com/products/oul

PS ditto to what peakbagger said about wind/heat shields. They're not crucial with a JetBoil or Reactor in everyday conditions, but for most stoves they're a lifesaver (and fuel saver).

One thing I am looking at is eliminating my JetBoil and replacing with one of those burners like MSR Pocket Rocket 2 type burners and a simple pot. .

This has been a very good combination for me for three season use.

esbit tablets & stove, olicamp 1L pot with heat ring, transparent disposable lighter

I store the "fishy" tablets in a ziplock; one tablet gets me 1L boiled water with a goodish margin.

I enjoy lighting my SVEA 123R white gas stove with a fire steel but the esbit tablets definitely require the sustained ignition energy of a bic lighter

https://www.rei.com/product/653343/esbit-pocket-stove

https://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-Hard...1-1-fkmr0&keywords=olicamp+pot+with+heat+ring

https://www.amazon.com/Cigarette-Tr...534432182&sr=1-1&keywords=transparent+lighter

Don't take this the wrong way, but imo you overthink a lot of stuff, lol. I mean pack a lighter, that's the best method. If your worried about redundancy, leave that stone at home, that's wasted weight. I carry a lighter and REI storm matches in a waterproof match holder for emergency's, lighter failure, whatever. As far as using your stone to light a canister? I'm no scientist, but I wouldn't do it, all it would take is one anomaly to ruin your day, a Bic wont kill you.

Don't take this the wrong way, but imo you overthink a lot of stuff, lol. I mean pack a lighter, that's the best method. If your worried about redundancy, leave that stone at home, that's wasted weight. I carry a lighter and REI storm matches in a waterproof match holder for emergency's, lighter failure, whatever. As far as using your stone to light a canister? I'm no scientist, but I wouldn't do it, all it would take is one anomaly to ruin your day, a Bic wont kill you.

No offense taken. I do overthink everything! No matter how thoroughly I've thought through something I always wonder "What if I.....". I'm definitely a tinkerer.

I use an MSR SuperFly that has a very effective piezo lighter built in .

Works great winter and summer and it's pretty much weightless.

cb

I wound up getting the Pocket Rocket 2. Is very compact and has the adjustable burner control. Weighs half the comparable components in my JetBoil (I have the Sumo so it isn't a totally fair comparison with a 1.7 L pot versus the 1.1 L pot I bought). Takes up a lot less space and seems plenty tall for me to get a mini-Bic in there upright and avoid burning my thumb. We'll see how it goes.

Be careful what kind of wind screen you use with a canister stove if you go that route.

As in don't get something flammable in case it blows into the flame or so light that it knocks the whole pot and stove over when the wind hits it? I hadn't even researched screens yet. Any recommendations for one, or a way to make one?

MSR shield 2.jpg

MSR shield.jpg

Try these, the clips are made out of stainless steel tig wire, the shield is made out of aluminum flashing that has "spring" to it. I have a loose lock seam bent into the aluminum so the "spring" in the flashing keeps it locked. Note the shield is just above the fuel valve handle. The clips are permanently attached to the stove supports and just hand down if I don't use the shield. It works slick. Holes were punched with a paper punch. It was a prototype but works so I never made a final version. I have done about 1/2 the AT on it. It does take a bit of dexterity to adjust the fuel valve. When I put it in the pot, it springs out against the sides and then I store my plastic cup stove and lighter in the pot. My lexan spoons are too long to fit.

If you roam around on whiteblaze there are some variations. I can get a pot boiling and then turn it down to summer with a flame not much bigger than lighter.

Note it does not heat up the canister at all which may be disadvantage in cold conditions. It basically increase the convection around the bottom of the pot and up the sides. I have seen folks do shield intended to heat the canister but I am fair weather backpacker so cold conditions aren't an issue. If they are I have a few MSRs sitting around.

Last edited: