AT hiker rescued on Stony Brook Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This follows a pattern of a lot of rescues with a late night carry and arrival at the trail head in the wee hours.

I know each situation is different, but if the injury is not life threatening, would it make sense to make the victim comfortable for the night and then start the carry in daylight (about 5 AM these summer days)?

I wonder how many rescuers get injured on night carries.

If the victim is not a threat to go into shock, why the rush?

cb

Last edited:
A lot of the rescuers have day jobs so they probably would rather do the carry at night?.

They have done this with at least one hiker I knew at Carter Notch Hut in the winter. No good helicopter landing options on this stretch of trail.

BTW it sounds like the North Carter northern face chalked up another hiker, this stretch is pretty notorious for hikers getting hurt. The slabs are steep and years of folks trying to walk along the edges have widened out the trail significantly. Might be time for pin steps.

It seems as though the UL has a disproportionate amount of articles about hiking rescues. While skimming the site I found this interesting piece: http://www.unionleader.com/public-s...before-they-stop-aarp-nh-pushes-back-20180815

My partner and some family members were going to go on a hike last summer when an elderly driver slammed (45mph) into the back of their car (they were stopping to take a left without the benefit of a turning lane). The driver said she didn't see them. Definitely the worst hiking related injury we've experience (whiplash is no joke).

Steve (the person rescued) is a good friend of mine. We hiked for a week in Colorado last year and climbed Rainier together. As far as I can tell, his number just came in that day.

I want to share with you a Facebook posting Steve just made, showing the true gratitude for all the volunteers who helped him off the mountain:

Personal Condition Update: After falling on a wet, slippery, rock and breaking my femur on the Carter-Moriah Ridgeline, New Hampshire White Mountains last Wednesday, I had surgery which added a few pieces of titanium to my femur on Friday. I still have some pain, but I can now stand on the injured leg and shuffle with a walker, so I will start returning to Virginia Wednesday. It will be several months before I get back to normal activity, but this has been a spiritually uplifting experience. My hiking partners, Tom P., Rick T., Gene W., and Liz T. were patient and the best friends anyone could have. I could not walk and my friends were not enough manpower to get my broken body off the mountain. I will always be indebted to 41 volunteers that carried me five miles down a steep mountain trail at night, so I could get to a hospital. Their love of mountains and people was enough of a bond they gave up their evening to save me to hike again. Words cannot express my gratitude.

He also posted on Facebook in the AT sectionhikers group. He broke his femur sliding, descending North Carter. As someone who went down it and back up after spending the night at Imp last month, I can easily see that happening. Hope he heals well and gets back out there when he's able.

DougPaul's femur break on the Livermore Road struck the fear of something in my heart. It can happen to anybody just that fast.

In an instant you go from an able bodied creature moving through the landscape to being incapacitated with the clock running out.

One of the reasons I carry a PLB. I hike solo and on occasion solo way off trail. Cheap insurance along with a hike Safe Card.

This follows a pattern of a lot of rescues with a late night carry and arrival at the trail head in the wee hours.

I know each situation is different, but if the injury is not life threatening, would it make sense to make the victim comfortable for the night and then start the carry in daylight (about 5 AM these summer days)?

I wonder how many rescuers get injured on night carries.

If the victim is not a threat to go into shock, why the rush?

cb

So, should we leave you on the side of the hill with a broken femur? :) The response here seems warranted.

So, should we leave you on the side of the hill with a broken femur? :) The response here seems warranted.

If I've got overnight gear and the situation isn't life threatening, I'm not calling in the cavalry. I'd rather spend the night in my hammock than a litter.

No good helicopter landing options on this stretch of trail.
A couple of years ago I posted about hiking in Tatra Mountains, where I witnessed a helicopter rescue: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?58449-Hiking-Rysy-highest-peak-in-Poland-8-8-16
During the rescue the helicopter never landed and instead picked up the rescuer and injured hiker from the air as you can see in the pictures I posted on Google photos: https://goo.gl/photos/N77CLBFvqNwJ4fH4A

If I've got overnight gear and the situation isn't life threatening, I'm not calling in the cavalry. I'd rather spend the night in my hammock than a litter.
A broken femur is a life threatening injury. Immediate evacuation is the right call.

Also, even if the injury is less severe, if the victim can't walk the biggest problem is manpower for the carry-out. Over forty people in this case. They need to start up the trail (lugging a litter) as soon as the victim's location is known. Waiting for a qualified medic to reach the site to decide whether a carry is urgent would mean hours of delay.

One of the reasons I carry a PLB. I hike solo and on occasion solo way off trail. Cheap insurance along with a hike Safe Card.

PLB's have helped others happened upon in need .. beside the one's owning and carrying them..another reason why to carry one.

DougPaul's femur break on the Livermore Road struck the fear of something in my heart. It can happen to anybody just that fast.

In an instant you go from an able bodied creature moving through the landscape to being incapacitated with the clock running out.
Yep. I was enjoying myself skiing along on an easy gentle downhill and a moment later was lying in the snow with no chance of extricating myself...

FWIW, (11 years later) I am able to hike and ski, but the leg is slightly shorter and twisted inward ~20 degrees causing somewhat diminished balance and the leg strength is still a bit less than the undamaged leg. If one survives the initial situation, with the aid of modern medical treatment one has a good chance of regaining at least most of one's original function.

Doug