Thread: Best Place To Sell Used Gear

Best Place To Sell Used Gear

Been going through all of my stuff the past few weeks for items to upgrade and I have a variety of near new stuff that I have never really used for a variety of reasons (didn't like, didn't fit quite right,etc). In the past I've seen references on here for various sites that deal with used equipment but I don't recall the names. Is there a particular site/sites that gets a lot of views and would be best for listing stuff? (i.e. stuff sells fast, higher bids, reliable transactions,etc). Also curious what type of "return" you can get, i.e. if I sell a jacket that was say $300 new what would I expect to get for it - $150, $75, $25?? If the rate of return is really low I will probably just hang onto the stuff or give to someone I know.

Never really listed anything online before so really no clue where to start. If anyone has experience with the sites or recommendations selling used gear it would be appreciated.
    Last edited by DayTrip; 08-20-2018 at 05:05 AM. Reason: grammar
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

I've never sold used gear. I wear it out and replace it.

Gear trade.com

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Been going through all of my stuff the past few weeks for items to upgrade and I have a variety of near new stuff that I have never really used for a variety of reasons (didn't like, didn't fit quite right,etc). In the past I've seen references on here for various sites that deal with used equipment but I don't recall the names. Is there a particular site/sites that gets a lot of views and would be best for listing stuff? (i.e. stuff sells fast, higher bids, reliable transactions,etc). Also curious what type of "return" you can get, i.e. if I sell a jacket that was say $300 new what would I expect to get for it - $150, $75, $25?? If the rate of return is really low I will probably just hang onto the stuff or give to someone I know.

Never really listed anything online before so really no clue where to start. If anyone has experience with the sites or recommendations selling used gear it would be appreciated.
    If you want to see how much you can get, try an auction site. The market will usually decide what a reasonable price is. You can set a minimum, a reserve, and a 'buy it now' price all in the same auction on Ebay.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO
    Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

A major FYI is anyone can set any price on Ebay, doesnt mean its the price the market is willing to pay. Best thing to do is to check the sold listings. That shows actual transactions between an actual buyer and seller. If you check completed listings you will see a lot of listings that timed out with no one buying. Generally that means the item was priced too high.

Many folks including myself use an "auction stealer" site to post last minute bids so lack of activity does not mean there is no interest. Most of the transactions will occur in the last few seconds before the auction expires. Do not make any side deals, folks will contact you under the guise of asking a question and offer to buy it outside of Ebay. Good way to get scammed.

Lot to be said for giving it to someone you know who can use it. Either than or see if there are any youth groups that do outdoors activities in your area.

I expect most of us have quite a large stash of good gear that we cant let go of including myself.

Iíve bought & sold many items,including hiking equipment on eBay & Craigís list. Itís fun. When I sell something, I get satisfaction knowing someone else can get use out of it,rather than wasting it. At least Iíll get SOME of my hard earned money back. Also, when I need to buy something, Iíll check these sites first. Youíll be surprised sometimes with what you might find.
    Last edited by richard; 08-20-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: More information

You can always give it all to the AMC. Then write it off on your tax return.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    You can always give it all to the AMC. Then write it off on your tax return.
    I do the short form !!