NH Fish and Game seeking addtional funding

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
NHFG was on the news that the department cannot afford to hire additional employees despite a significant need. The traditional source of funding, license fees and registrations will not cover the expanded roles they are asked to fill. No hikers fees have been proposed yet but it looks likely that kayaks and canoes will need registrations.

I

I saw recently that NH F&G assigned two officers to be on full time ATV duty now.

Regarding hiker fees, I often wonder if the volunteer hours of hikers on S&R teams are taken into financial account when determining from where support for F&G should come. Each year, the total number of F&G officer hours on S&R missions is in total very similar to the number of volunteer hours performed by those who make up much of the bulk of the actual S&R teams.

Most non-profits I volunteer for/with are eligible for grant money depending on unpaid volunteer hours. Can NHF&G not apply for federal grants based on the unpaid voluteer hours donated for SAR functions?

Most non-profits I volunteer for/with are eligible for grant money depending on unpaid volunteer hours. Can NHF&G not apply for federal grants based on the unpaid voluteer hours donated for SAR functions?

F&G is a state agency, not a non profit. They can apply for grants, but they need consistent funding for what has become increasingly costly duties required of the department. Grants are nice stop gap measures and great for seed money or one time costs. They want a consistent, reliable funding source.

Make the Hike Safe card mandatory.

How? Kiosks/card readers at trail heads? Which trail heads, WMNF trail heads? State parks? How do we define hiking? I have access to land that borders the WMNF, and will go for a walk often. Sometimes, those walks end up on the top of a mountain. Sometimes, they end up by a river. Sometimes, they do nothing more than turn around randomly and back to the start. Sometimes, those same walks are in town in Southern NH. Would I need one there?

There is a non-profit which was established to directly fund NHF&G projects, http://nhwildlifeheritage.org/ . Unfortunately it was either in the original establishment of the organizations bylaws, or enabling legislation for the agency to utilize these 'outside' funds, that the funds can only be used for such expenses as equipment, paying contracted services, etc. It can not be used to pay for employee salaries. It helps offset the drain of the other things on the overall budget, so hopefully leaves a little more for staff funding.

As Raven said the ultimate solution for adequate personnel is a stable funding source. The state budgets are so complicated that even if there might be extra funding in one line item account, it may be impossible or not allowed by law for these to be used to fund personnel or other needs if not originally approved in a budget line for a fiscal year. It's all enough for a state employee to want to retire- which sooo many of our CO's are ready to do at first eligibility, it's sad to see how much pressure these officers are under.