Eagle Cliff Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A few friends and I decided a traverse of Eagle Cliff was on the list for later this summer. Today was the day. We dropped a car at the Tram lot and then drove up to the dead end portion of RT 3 at the Gov Gallen memorial. We headed in the woods shooting for the ridgecrest. The woods were open but no trace of herd path until the ridge got skinnier and we were nearing the crest. We came to a narrow low spot and a obvious herd path came up from the west. The herd path was fairly consistent, occasionally it would taper off but soon it would reappear. The path stays at the top or slight to the east of the ridgecrest with occasional spur paths to view points. We soon reached the prominent set of cliffs with the climbers route coming up a slide. We took a long break on top of the cliff which definitely looked well used. There were two rock bolts on the top of the cliff. We then followed the herd path to the top of the slide and got a nice view of the Watcher profile and possibly the Eaglet (not sure on that one).

We soon started climbing the ridge to the Eagle Cliff summit. I was a bit surprised by the lack of view spurs along the ridge. but on occasion we got views through the trees. We soon went over the summit and we took another long break on some boulders near an old fire pit. The summit was supposed to have a canister but we didn't see one. One of our party was persistent and after a couple of tries she found the canister on the ground attached to section of rotten tree. The former summit tree is completely dead and broken off with few nearby options as most of the trees in that area are dead. The canister is missing the screw in plug so someone had attached a glass bottle with a notebook and pencils. I hung the canister off the broken trees but expect it will be on the ground again soon. The other odd thing near the top is a large folded up piece of hardware cloth. It was quite a bundle, a little large to carry out in pack but with suitable external frame it could be lashed to it. We then headed down to the Greenleaf trail. The herd path skirts the cliff by going East then South east. The herd path is less definite in spots but it reappears. If in doubt bear right. We encountered another folded up piece of hardware cloth, some black plastic and a lawn chair along the way. All we can guess is possibly it fell off a helicopter flight from Greenleaf?. We then continued heading down and came out on the Greenleaf just east of the cliffs. Despite the long breaks we took 4 hours to do the entire ridge.

It was early so we made a run up to Greenleaf hut with the lure of snack at the hut. It was quite busy at the hut and they even had a few snacks left. We took a break and could look up towards Lafayette at the conga line of hikers. Greenleaf Trail was remarkably quiet so we cruised down to the Tram lot and after a short drive back to our starting point we said our goodbyes and headed out. Down on the lower Greenleaf trail there is an obvious trail marked with cairn than head upslope, we expect it eventually head up to the cliffs.

I think we were expecting a far more strenuous day. The herd path isn't a trail but with some reasonable trail finding skills it make for fast progress in what could be dense growth. Hard to beat the views up the Lafayette Brook Ravine anchored by North Lafayette and Lafayette at the top.

Overall a great hike with great views away from the crowds. The only tradeoff is traffic noise from the notch is quite noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so this is for Eagle Cliff. Eagle Crag (in the title of your post) is way over in Evans Notch. This is a great traverse, I did it with some friends a couple of years ago. We were hunting for as many view ledges as we could find, but got pretty beat up in the process! :D

Last edited:
Great report as usual PB. I unwisely decided to do this traverse on Sunday. The hardwood forest on north slope was not as friendly as I imagined. The approach terrain above Lafayette Brook proved to be steep and rough with deep hobble bush and blow downs. I only made it to the pair of bumps one of which is designated 2728'. I had gotten started a bit late and the thought of whacking down Lafayette brook for 3/4 mile was very undesirable so called it a day after checking out drop to col between those peaks and the major climb to Eaglet peak. I found the views from the second bump to be superior to 2728'. Descent back down the north slope was unwelcome, but still was great day out.

I tired to correct the title not sure if it will stick

Bummer Jazzbo, I guess its the luck of the draw when bushwhacking. We had open woods and not much scratchy stuff before we hit the herd path. I expect if I went back and traced the path we met on the north end it would be herd path end to end. Someone has been clipping it in spots. I had leather gloves and safety glasses and didnt even use them.

Great report. It's interesting how the growth can vary dramatically in short distances. Eagle Cliff has some dense forest, while Big Bickford just up from it is practically the most open woods in NH.