Franconia Struggles

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must admit long ago when a friend and I was doing the 100 highest list, the vast majority were day hikes although we were really stretching it for Equinox and Stratton where the drive was far longer than the hike. The exception was the BSP peaks. We dayhiked the 4 pack (now six pack). My only defense is I run econoboxes that get 40 mpg. I left a fair share of tourist money in Milliinocket recently.

As mentioned earlier, the ATV and snowmachine crowds tend to leave a lot more tourist and gas dollars on their trips. Most are up for the weekend and some for an extended weekend starting on Thursday. One of the more usual wasy to tap the markets are ethanol free gas stations. There is a loophole in the rules that small dealers can sell ethanol free super premium. Its expensive but folks with small engines and recreational vehicles try to use it in their toys as it does not turn to gum in the fuel system when the equipment sits. There is a recently reopened gas station in Berlin that opened up and ethanol free figures prominently in their advertising.

I think it's a worthwhile sub-topic in this conversation.)

When I use the phrase "petroleum based life form" I refer to folks who cannot recreate without an internal combustion engine doing most of the work.

As hikers we of course burn hydros getting to the trail head, but once there turn off the key and walk under our own power.

And that's a big difference.

cb

When I use the phrase "petroleum based life form" I refer to folks who cannot recreate without an internal combustion engine doing most of the work
With all do respect this is coming real close to sounding elitist. Let's remember there are folks that cannot hike for any number of legitimate reasons. Participating in petroleum based activities may be the only way some can enjoy the outdoors. Just because someone is doing it not under their own power does not make them any lesser of a life form.

A few random thoughts on this thread:

1. The White Mountain National Forest: Land of Many Uses.

Enough said....

2. Tribes

It is a generalization but I presume most would agree that the groups Motorcyclists, Snowmobilers , ATVers, and Jet Skiers probably have a lot of overlap as do the groups Cyclists, Snowshoers/XC Skiers, Hikers, and Kayakers.

We may want to believe that these two general groups can also be neatly divided by political lines but I am not so sure about that. For example, in my family, the fishermen and hunters fall into both general categories and both political tribes.

3. Franconia

As other stated, not enough year round local population to support downtown businesses with Lincoln so close by. Not enough unique local attractions to pull people from other towns.

4. Spenders

To add on to Peakbaggers point comparing the spending habits of the groups, I hike for solitude and to be in the forest. So I will always prefer a bag night in the woods over a local hotel or motel. Staying at a campground on the Kanc on a winter weekend is as close to civilization in the Whites as I want to get. I stop for gas and coffee and maybe some fast food for the ride home. I spend a fair amount of money at the Steve's bookstore in Lincoln & buy a Hike Safe card. That is a pittance compared to a family going out to dinner in Conway or Lincoln or Gorham.

I assume that going out to eat is part of the planned weekend fun for the ATVers, the same way it is for my family when we go on vacation for a week in the summer.

Last edited:
I cut a sunset hike short yesterday so I went home the scenic way so I cut through Franconia during "prime time" (about 5:45PM) just to check out the town with this thread fresh in my head. Was fairly quiet. I came in by Rte 18 North. Were a few places on road that had a handful of cars (Saloon On The River or something like that and another Chef Somethng place). In "downtown" a restaurant called Dutch Treat was pretty full and the Iron Furnace Brewery was absolutely packed with cars and the bar looked 2 deep through the front window. Clearly adding some business to the area. Seemed like the place to be.

In contrast, a short drive down to Woodstock and that area was crazy town. Cars and people everywhere. I'm sure the Highland Games was a factor but clearly no overflow left that area to go to Franconia. No reason to take the 10 minute ride. Nothing there.

I've gone through a three stage cycle in my years going North to hike. For many years I camped, mostly at the Forest service campgrounds. As I got older, I started staying at hotels. Now, I strictly day hike. I never go to restaurants, I go to places where I can grab some slices or places like Wayne's market for their deli. I travel with my dog, so that has some bearing but not much. I'm also going through another transition. Since my injury, I'm off the 4k's. I'm going for surgery, but regardless of my outcome, I really don't miss them. I'm excited to do many of the small peaks I've ignored and also travel trails I've never done, even if they stay in the valleys. I don't contribute much to the economy up there, but sure have over the years. The problem these small towns have is the seasons. I stayed for years at the same hotel in North Conway run by an old couple. I had to sit in the parlor when I got there and catch up, lol before I could go to my room. They explained the seasons and resulting effects on cash flow. Running some kind of a business in the mountains for most, is no walk in the park.