Lafayette Place Parking Enforcement

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
p.s.s. What's up with all the dead squirrels on I93? It was a massacre. Maybe their lots are full too. They can’t cross the Jersey Barriers. They run into them, then turn and try to go back.

p.s.s. What's up with all the dead squirrels on I93? It was a massacre. Maybe their lots are full too. They can’t cross the Jersey Barriers. They run into them, then turn and try to go back.

The Everett Turnpike from the tolls to Nashua was particularly bad. I literally saw hundreds of dead squirrels. There were places with 10-12 squashed squirrels in a 100' stretch. Nasty.

Been hiking Bryce,Zion,Grand Canyon,Rocky's,Glacier for years now. In Zion now as I type. shuttles are a pia but work. 40 min ride from the Narrows to parking/campgrounds. So a few minutes from the lots to the Trail head in the notch is nothing. Those complaining will have to suck it up and make it work. I myself stay away..been there done that. I'm off to new adventures.

I noticed another interesting phenomenon with this whole thing the past few weekends: people walking on the highway (which I assume is also not legal). SAT going home I saw about a half dozen people walking up the highway toward Cannon. There were no cars parked so I presume they either didn't want to wait for the shuttle or the shuttle was done for the day (it was about 6:15PM). Not sure if pedestrians on the highway is what the state is shooting for, especially as it starts getting darker early. May have unintended consequences.

I didn't see many cars parked along the parkway yesterday when we left Liberty Springs. It was about 4:30 pm, so many of the hikers may have been off the trails, or the forecasted 95mph gustskept people home. Didn't see any tickets on the cars, either, but the police may have been busy in Lincoln for the Highland games. Not a good day to be wearing a kilt.

Been hiking Bryce,Zion,Grand Canyon,Rocky's,Glacier for years now. In Zion now as I type. shuttles are a pia but work. 40 min ride from the Narrows to parking/campgrounds. So a few minutes from the lots to the Trail head in the notch is nothing. Those complaining will have to suck it up and make it work. I myself stay away..been there done that. I'm off to new adventures.

Sorry, Cap, but I have to disagree. Maybe I'm misreading this, but this looks like the "I got mine, so I don't care how difficult it is for new folks" attitude, which I don't really like to see. Personally, I like to see people doing these things; the more the better, and I want to make it as easy for them as it was for me.

I noticed another interesting phenomenon with this whole thing the past few weekends: people walking on the highway (which I assume is also not legal). SAT going home I saw about a half dozen people walking up the highway toward Cannon. There were no cars parked so I presume they either didn't want to wait for the shuttle or the shuttle was done for the day (it was about 6:15PM). Not sure if pedestrians on the highway is what the state is shooting for, especially as it starts getting darker early. May have unintended consequences.

Good observation. This is as predictable as the sunrise. We are seeing exactly the same thing here in NY, where "managers" are trying vainly to manage trails by cutting down parking. This weekend's first trial run had crowds of people walking dangerous parts of the highway that were never walked before the idiotic parking "intervention." This dangerous set up greatly increases safety risk.

This is not an "unintended consequence." That expression refers to something that was unanticipated, and comes as a surprise. Many commenters had told our local managers that this was exactly what was going to happen; I think they just don't care, and are going ahead with it anyway. If someone gets killed, one lawsuit, even successfully defended, is going to cost a lot more than building decent parking, hardening the trail, and hiring a trailhead educator would cost.

Sorry, Cap, but I have to disagree. Maybe I'm misreading this, but this looks like the "I got mine, so I don't care how difficult it is for new folks" attitude, which I don't really like to see. Personally, I like to see people doing these things; the more the better, and I want to make it as easy for them as it was for me.

Good observation. This is as predictable as the sunrise. We are seeing exactly the same thing here in NY, where "managers" are trying vainly to manage trails by cutting down parking. This weekend's first trial run had crowds of people walking dangerous parts of the highway that were never walked before the idiotic parking "intervention." This dangerous set up greatly increases safety risk.

This is not an "unintended consequence." That expression refers to something that was unanticipated, and comes as a surprise. Many commenters had told our local managers that this was exactly what was going to happen; I think they just don't care, and are going ahead with it anyway. If someone gets killed, one lawsuit, even successfully defended, is going to cost a lot more than building decent parking, hardening the trail, and hiring a trailhead educator would cost.

I was following some of the threads on the ADK High Peaks Forum about crowds and someone brought up the rather novel idea that rather than fighting the crowds and trying to spread them everywhere and trash the whole state it would make more sense to concentrate the crowds into a few areas, build infrastructure to support the crowds in those select areas and limit the damage to the rest of the state. Seems contradictory at first but I think there is a lot of merit to this idea. Sacrificing a few areas that are already over run may go a long way toward preserving the rest of the trails and forest.

I also have seen folks walking along the parkway this time for the first time.

It would not take a lot of signage to indicate that the bike path is the the "shortcut" to the tram lot. I actually think it has a bit more mileage and elevation changes than the actual parkway but all in a good cause.

It would not take a lot of signage to indicate that the bike path is the the "shortcut" to the tram lot. I actually think it has a bit more mileage and elevation changes than the actual parkway but all in a good cause.

We drive on the parkway, park on the driveway and (apparently) walk on the bike path :rolleyes:

Tim

… There were no cars parked so I presume they either didn't want to wait for the shuttle or the shuttle was done for the day (it was about 6:15PM)...

The shuttle runs every half hour, from 8:30am to 8:00pm, Fri-Mon. Last day of service is Sunday 10/14.

Alex

The shuttle runs every half hour, from 8:30am to 8:00pm, Fri-Mon. Last day of service is Sunday 10/14.

Alex

I guess they were unaware of shuttle or didn't want to wait for next one. Is there signage in the Lafayette parking area and the Cannon lot about the shuttle service? Haven't parked in there for a few years now. Has anyone heard any feedback on if the shuttle is reliable and running as stated?

We drive on the parkway, park on the driveway and (apparently) walk on the bike path :rolleyes:

Tim

Unless, you have a dog. When doing a traverse over Cannon, I needed to walk the bike path back to the LLT. Right near profile lake I saw a sign saying dog's were not allowed on the bike path. So much for live free or die. My dog then became an honest to goodness law breaker.:eek: