Flat Mtn Pond and McCrillis Trails to Whiteface question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a counterclockwise loop of McCrillis Path, Dicey Mills, Tom Wiggins, Blueberry Ledge, McCrillis Trail and Flat Mt Pond a few weeks ago. No problem following the trail. The crossing of the Flat River can be very difficult in high water. Pay attention on Flat Mt Pond Trail where the trail goes right off the road. Except for the Blueberry ledge Trail section, did not see anyone all day.

I did a counterclockwise loop of McCrillis Path, Dicey Mills, Tom Wiggins, Blueberry Ledge, McCrillis Trail and Flat Mt Pond a few weeks ago. No problem following the trail. The crossing of the Flat River can be very difficult in high water. Pay attention on Flat Mt Pond Trail where the trail goes right off the road. Except for the Blueberry ledge Trail section, did not see anyone all day.

What was the parking like at the trailhead? Did you park at Flat Pond and road walk to McCrillas Path? Looking at your loop on satellite view and it looks like nothing is there for parking. Loop you did sounds like a fun hike.

What was the parking like at the trailhead? Did you park at Flat Pond and road walk to McCrillas Path? Looking at your loop on satellite view and it looks like nothing is there for parking.

It looks like nothing is there for parking because there is none. :p

McCrillis Path starts up off a driveway on private land, so the parking is 3/4 mile away at Flat Mtn Pond. The road walk is beautiful through the farm land, though.

Last edited:
With fresh leaves down, the lower woods on the McCrillis Trail might be hard to follow the tread. The McCrillis Path was decently well marked as I recall. The road walk was fairly pleasant too. Beautiful loop.

It looks like nothing is there for parking because there is none. :p

McCrillis Path starts up off a driveway on private land, so the parking is 3/4 mile away at Flat Mtn Pond. The road walk is beautiful through the farm land, though.

I was referring to Flat Pond Trailhead. That was why I asked if he road walked to McCrillis Path. Guess I didn't make that clear. Doesn't look like a lot there either on satellite. Does the Flat Pond Trailhead have an actual lot?

I was referring to Flat Pond Trailhead. That was why I asked if he road walked to McCrillis Path. Guess I didn't make that clear. Doesn't look like a lot there either on satellite. Does the Flat Pond Trailhead have an actual lot?

Affirmative.

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll give it a try this fall. I did Blueberry Ledge a few years ago and also came over from the Tripyramids via the Kate Sleeper Trail and then went down the Downes Brook Trail. This will be something different.

A bit late to the party but...

I'm the maintainer for McCrillis Trail and I might be biased but think it's a great alternative route up Whiteface. Even on a beautiful Saturday in summer I only see 1-4 people maximum all day. It's 5 miles from the Flat Mountain Pond Trailhead up to the summit of Whiteface but it's generally a gentle meander through the woods. Definitely don't try it after a heavy rain since, as aforementioned, the stream crossing on Flat Mountain Pond Trail can be tricky.

I'm working on giving some more definition to the open woodlands section of the trail but since it's in the wilderness, I try not to be heavy-handed about it. It's a work in progress. The rest of the trail is lovely if a bit muddy in a few sections and steep once you get into the softwood in higher elevation. I always like hearing what people think about the trail (and its various issues)!

A bit late to the party but...

I'm the maintainer for McCrillis Trail and I might be biased but think it's a great alternative route up Whiteface. Even on a beautiful Saturday in summer I only see 1-4 people maximum all day. It's 5 miles from the Flat Mountain Pond Trailhead up to the summit of Whiteface but it's generally a gentle meander through the woods. Definitely don't try it after a heavy rain since, as aforementioned, the stream crossing on Flat Mountain Pond Trail can be tricky.

I'm working on giving some more definition to the open woodlands section of the trail but since it's in the wilderness, I try not to be heavy-handed about it. It's a work in progress. The rest of the trail is lovely if a bit muddy in a few sections and steep once you get into the softwood in higher elevation. I always like hearing what people think about the trail (and its various issues)!

Thanks for your work! We hiked it last year and the only issues we noticed were theorhetical. If there was snow, the top section might be hard to follow. If the trail got a lot more use, then the steeps would have some erosion issues. I loved it as a loop, descending Blueberry Ledge (now that the McCrillis Path is reopened).