Winter Shelter Recommendations For Solo Hiker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I guess while I'm addressing the backpack issue I may as well ask for advice on a tent too. Looking for a Winter tent/shelter set up that is lightweight for overnight trips. As with everything else there are many options and a wide range of costs. My only experience with a Winter tent is my North Face Mountain 25, a heavy double wall tent. At nearly 9 lbs though I simply won't be able to hump that thing around in the mountains by myself. As far as intended use, I would be doing an overnight as close to treeline or a summit/outlook as possible. I don't intend to camp in the open but would like to be close to it so some consideration for wind is a factor.

As of right now I'm leaning toward a single wall, totally freestanding option like the Black Diamond First Light. Sounds light enough to meet my needs but may lack ventilation and durability. If anyone here owns one and can comment on these things it would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on a similar design by a different manufacturer would also be appreciated. I've done some reading on pyramid style shelters too but they seem really expensive and far more time consuming to set up. While I am trying to cut weight I don't want to get so carried away that I sacrifice simplicity and ease of set up. I would also add that based on my experimentation with hammocks this past Summer I would not be considering this as an option. Just didn't like it and given my objective it is not really practical anyway.

As of right now I'm leaning toward a single wall, totally freestanding option like the Black Diamond First Light.

If you are going to camp in the trees, you might want to forego the tent for a bivvy bag and small tarp.

A trench shelter is pretty easy and quick to dig with a snowshoe. Three feet wide, 8 feet long and 2 feet deep. Cover with the tarp and you've got a quiet, windproof and relatively warm shelter. Not a place where you want to spend a lot of time, but for sleeping it's great. And no infernal flapping of tent walls all night long!

Only downside is you need adequate snow to dig one. But that's usually not a problem by mid-January.

cb

I'm looking at the Nemo Tenshi 2P myself. I recommend you get a tent in which cooking in the vestibule is an option. Tenshi seems to check all the boxes for me, but I don't yet own one.

Edit: I think the vestibule is too small for my preference, but the Nemo Kunai looks quite nice too.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the Nemo Tenshi 2P myself. I recommend you get a tent in which cooking in the vestibule is an option. Tenshi seems to check all the boxes for me, but I don't yet own one.

Edit: I think the vestibule is too small for my preference, but the Nemo Kunai looks quite nice too.

That brand Nemo seems to be popping up quite a bit in my searches. Really not familiar with it but I do like many of their designs. When I was looking for a compact 1 person tent this Summer someone mentioned this brand here too. I was trying to stay in the single wall realm for the weight but some of these models seem like they could be a possibility. I was looking at the MSR Advance Pro tent which seems perfect for me. Totally free standing, very light (I think 3 lbs with all the sacks) and absurdly easy set up. No vestibule though. I would only be camping in favorable weather so I'm not sure how critical a vestibule would be but I do like having one generally.

so, I want to preface this by saying I slept in the snow/winter in various shelters I own...(hammock, pyramid shelter, 3 season tent, bivy, cowboy camp next to a fire). So these are as varied as they come and each system worked pretty well for me in the various types of trips. I also own a Hilleberg Keron which is used a lot in winter camping but the tent is too heavy for 1-2 person. I haven't used it in the winter yet but I may use it if I get my two adult sons to go on a trip this coming winter.

This year I'm adding a Hilleberg Soulo to my gear as well as a fancy pulk to replace my homemade rig. Why the Soulo? - freestanding, snow bombproof, relatively lightweight (4.4lbs) for winter, decent inner size for sleeping with a practical vestibule space to cook. The most important function out of the list is to have a shelter I can (although I would usually choose not to) pitch in exposed windy conditions and also a shelter that I could pitch in protected deep snow conditions where I don't want to deal with digging out frozen guy lines in the morning (freestanding)

Last edited:
This year I'm adding a Hilleberg Soulo to my gear as well as a fancy pulk to replace my homemade rig. Why the Soulo? - freestanding, snow bombproof, relatively lightweight (4.4lbs) for winter, decent inner size for sleeping with a practical vestibule space to cook. The most important function out of the list is to have a shelter I can (although I would usually choose not to) pitch in exposed windy conditions and also a shelter that I could pitch in protected deep snow conditions where I don't want to deal with digging out frozen guy lines in the morning (freestanding)

Totally freestanding is a big draw for me too. An elaborate fly with all sorts of tie downs to tension and maintain seems like a lot of work, most of which I presume has to be done outside at night if you botched your original set up. I am surprised there aren't more offerings like that. When I originally researched Winter tents a few years back I recall there being far more single wall models than I have come across this time around. Just started looking but there definitely seems like less.

I should point out that the only reason I'm leaning toward single wall is the weight. Just doesn't seem like many double wall models that are capable of being down in the 3-4 lb range. If such an animal existed that would be preferable provided it was totally freestanding like the Nemo model mentioned above.

Why not use the Mountain 25 and leave the fly in the car?

Interesting thought but not sure that would work. The configuration of the 4 poles in the pole sleeves creates pockets that blowing snow, condensation, etc would collect and puddle in and the fabric I don't think is all that water repellent or wind resistant. A light breeze blowing powder or meting snow falling off nearby branches would probably go right through the tent. And with the poles (4) it is probably still in the 6 lb range weight wise. Don't think it would be much better than just laying outside.

I should point out that the only reason I'm leaning toward single wall is the weight. Just doesn't seem like many double wall models that are capable of being down in the 3-4 lb range. If such an animal existed that would be preferable provided it was totally freestanding like the Nemo model mentioned above.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/bowfin-1/

I love that tent. Remember from when I asked about a 1 person tent for Summer use. If I hadn't stumbled on that Kelty model for $12 on REI Outlet this was going to be a strong contender. That doesn't look like it would hold up in 4 season use though. Inner tent is all mesh and it doesn't look like a good design for wind.

I no longer use my Hilleberg Akto. PM?

Thanks but I'm looking for a totally free standing tent. This model also looks a bit small for someone my height (I'm 6'3") and with a roof height of only 36" and only being a 1 person model I don't think it would be big enough. Want to be able to have my pack in the tent with me.

My only complaint about the BD First Light are the lack of a vestibule to stow my gear, to cook and to ventilate the tent without getting snow/rain in. When You open the door then 1/3 of the tent seems to be fair game to get rained on. Otherwise it's a cool winter shelter. Rab makes something very similar.

That brand Nemo seems to be popping up quite a bit in my searches. Really not familiar with it but I do like many of their designs.

They've been around for awhile but have been pushing more into the lightweight consumer backpacking realm in the last five years or so. Did a fair bit of military supplying, IIRC. Founder's a vet. Based here in Dover but there aren't a lot of operations here; warehousing seems to be in Nashua and a lot of the manufacturing overseas (as is common.) In theory I could throw a rock from my balcony and hit world headquarters but I haven't seen physical evidence of the buliding.

They've been around for awhile but have been pushing more into the lightweight consumer backpacking realm in the last five years or so. Did a fair bit of military supplying, IIRC. Founder's a vet. Based here in Dover but there aren't a lot of operations here; warehousing seems to be in Nashua and a lot of the manufacturing overseas (as is common.) In theory I could throw a rock from my balcony and hit world headquarters but I haven't seen physical evidence of the buliding.

The owner insists that American workers aren't capable of making tents and writes off American manufacturing as not sustainable. There are a few companies out there who might beg to differ but he knows more than I do. Hope he doesn't want any more of those military contracts.

My only complaint about the BD First Light are the lack of a vestibule to stow my gear, to cook and to ventilate the tent without getting snow/rain in. When You open the door then 1/3 of the tent seems to be fair game to get rained on. Otherwise it's a cool winter shelter. Rab makes something very similar.

Yes I have found a few: the Black Diamond First Light, MSR Advance Pro 2 and the North Face Assault 2 (which I think I like most of the 3 because of it's window configuration and it does come with a vestibule that I don't have to use). The Rab model was super low inside (I'm 6'3"). Big Agnes had a model too but it was much heavier than the others I found.

I'll likely only be camping in fairly good weather and lower winds for one night so the lack of a vestibule isn't a deal breaker for me. These tents all seem to get universally trashed for not being waterproof in the rain though, which is a concern. I'll again not likely be out when it is raining but I am curious if blowing powder or snow off tree branches settles on it if it melts and comes through. I guess to be the "fortresses" they are advertised to be conditions need to be comfortably below freezing, which for my fairly limited application I think will be just fine.

It's a winter shelter, so anyone using it in rain is asking for it. :)

Having said that, we do have January thaw... it's real :)

Basically, some condensation is a given in this tent even in the dead of winter. In the winter it will just freeze so you might get that tiny sensation of microscopic snowflakes. But cooking in it will increase that condensation buildup (logical) . That is why I favored the Hilleberg Soulo - I can open the entire side of the inner tent to ventilate...I can cook in the vestibule while it's snowing outside or while it's windy and blowing snow.

I would be doing an overnight as close to treeline or a summit/outlook as possible. I don't intend to camp in the open but would like to be close to it so some consideration for wind is a factor.

Have you considered using a three season tent? I camp in the woods in the winter, avoid overnights where a heavy snow is expected, and I am not expecting my tent to be an above tree line emergency shelter (since I venture up there on blue bird days).

With those caveats, you eliminate the need for a tent designed to be able to handle the higher wind loading and snow loads that a four season tent is designed for.

I have been using a Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 2 Tent for ~ 10 years with good results. I do leave the vestibule door and tent screen unzipped at the top to act as a roof vent. I do occasionally get snow blowing under the fly. I have had to brush off snow in the middle of the night.

Have you considered using a three season tent? I camp in the woods in the winter, avoid overnights where a heavy snow is expected, and I am not expecting my tent to be an above tree line emergency shelter (since I venture up there on blue bird days).

With those caveats, you eliminate the need for a tent designed to be able to handle the higher wind loading and snow loads that a four season tent is designed for.

I have been using a Mountain Hardwear Light Wedge 2 Tent for ~ 10 years with good results. I do leave the vestibule door and tent screen unzipped at the top to act as a roof vent. I do occasionally get snow blowing under the fly. I have had to brush off snow in the middle of the night.

I have wondered about that but most of the designs have a significant amount of mesh for ventilation in warmer weather. I assume that makes for a much colder night where even a 5-10 mph wind would go right through the tent, blow in snow, etc. I suppose I could get a different 3 season tent than what I have (my 3 season tents would definitely have problems the way they are designed) but they're not that much lighter than what I am looking at anyway so the cost savings really wouldn't put me into a better situation. I suppose one night this Winter if I haven't bought a new tent I'll have to try setting my 3 season up in the yard for a night and see what happens. I'm not optimistic... but a free solution would sure be nice. (Of course knowing myself the way I do as soon as Backcountry or REI emails me one of those 20% Off A Single Item coupons I'll come running wallet in hand. :) )

I use a generic MegaMid knock-off for my winter camping. IMO, what keeps you warm is a) sleeping bag, b) stopping wind, which includes drafts under the fly, and c) controling body sweat (I use a Stephenson VB shirt to sleep in).

The MegaMid is nice and warm if pitched directly down to the snow. Kicking snow to cover the edges eliminates drafts entirely but may add some frost from condensation. I use a square non-waterproof bivy sack that accepts a sleeping pad INSIDE of the bivy to keep snow out from between the pad and bag. This eliminates the need for a ground cloth.

I've found that pitching a square 'Mid style Tarp/tent to be the easiest in terms of set up. I pre tie 6' lengths of cord to the corners and loop them around buried deadfall with a truckers hitch tied off on the corner tie off point. The dead men set up in a few minutes if you work harden the snow and the trucker hitch come undone like a slip knot so I can just pull it out without digging out the anchors. If skiing, it can be set with skis too.

If I were replacing it, I would lol for lighter material and vent at the peak. But I have no intention of changing my basic approach. This is the most comfortable and lightest solution I've found for below treeline winter use.