Thread: Two Really Good New Movies

Two Really Good New Movies

I just saw a couple of great outdoor movies folks on this board might like:

Free Solo -- This is the story of Alex Honnold's amazing free climb on El Capitan. His audacious solo of Freerider (5.13) forms the basis of the story. The documentary really attempts to get inside his head as he preps for the climb, backs off on the initial attempt, gets into his first close relationship with a girlfriend, and eventually attempts the route again. The climbing photography by climber Jimmy Chin is breathtaking in its beauty and dramatic settings and exposure. A very well produced film from National Geographic.

I saw it as part of the Telluride Film Festival, but it might also be screened outside that venue.

Mountain -- This Australian film is a meditation on why we are drawn to mountains, and how mountains become a stage where life and death human dramas play out. The photography is amazingly beautiful and depicts climbers, skiers, trekkers, wing suit flyers and people who live in the high ranges around the world. Thoughtful narration by William DeFoe is accompanied by a beautiful and haunting music score. The result is pure poetry for the eye and ear. The use of very dramatic aerial photography really captures the scale and grandeur of these amazing ranges and the insignificance and fleeting nature of our human presence among them. Highly recommended.

Hope you get a chance to see one or both.

cb
    Last edited by ChrisB; 10-04-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

I believe Jimmy Chin was also associated with Meru another great movie. Thanks for the heads up, I will be on the lookout!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post

Free Solo -- This is the story of Alex Honnold's amazing free climb on El Capitan. His audacious solo of Freerider (5.13) forms the basis of the story. The documentary really attempts to get inside his head as he preps for the climb, backs off on the initial attempt, gets into his first close relationship with a girlfriend, and eventually attempts the route again. The climbing photography by climber Jimmy Chin is breathtaking in its beauty and dramatic settings and exposure. A very well produced film from National Geographic.

I saw it as part of the Telluride Film Festival, but it might also be screened outside that venue.

Mountain -- This Australian film is a meditation on why we are drawn to mountains, and how mountains become a stage where life and death human dramas play out. The photography is amazingly beautiful and depicts climbers, skiers, trekkers, wing suit flyers and people who live in the high ranges around the world. Thoughtful narration by William DeFoe is accompanied by a beautiful and haunting music score. The result is pure poetry for the eye and ear. The use of very dramatic aerial photography really captures the scale and grandeur of these amazing ranges and the insignificance and fleeting nature of our human presence among them. Highly recommended.

Hope you get a chance to see one or both.

cb
    Do you know if these movies would actually get released on DVD? I researched show times and they are pretty limited and dates in New England are mostly in major metro areas. Might be hard to catch at a theater.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Do you know if these movies would actually get released on DVD? I researched show times and they are pretty limited and dates in New England are mostly in major metro areas. Might be hard to catch at a theater.
    Mountain is on DVD now.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Free Solo is in theaters. Dawn Wall is another one in theaters. Both, while look to be excellent movies from two excellent climbers, will have limited appeal I assume so a short run should be expected

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post

For those who live in MA, the Coolidge Corner Theatre is showing Free Solo! I just saw it. Really, really well done - highly recommended.

Mountain is currently on Netfxx. Watched it last night and found it wonderful.. Never figured that Vivaldi's Four Seasons would be such great accompaniment to a movie such as this.