Thread: Where on Mt Lafayette was this photo taken?

Where on Mt Lafayette was this photo taken?

I climbed Mt Lafayette on September 30 this year. At home I found an old photo taken on the mountain in November 1971. It's above timberline, but I can't identify where exactly it was taken. Can anyone help me out?

This was on an overnight trip with University of Vermont Outing Club. We hiked the Lincoln Woods Trail to 13 Falls Campsite. The next day hiked up to Mt Garfield, Garfield Ridge Trail, Greenleaf Hut, down Greenleaf Trail to I-93. Snow on the ground was minimal. The thing I most remember was how outraged I was walking in the dark two nights in a row. Why couldn't our leaders plan better? I was livid (inside). With later experience I came to see this was a trivial concern under the circumstances--short days of late fall, nice weather. I remember feeling incredibly vulnerable hiking so late in the season, fear of unexpected snowstorm, hiking in the dark, etc. I don't recall if I had a headlamp, but some members of the party did.

The person at left in the photo is a young Sanbu.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4633 cropped.jpg 
Views:	412 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	6071
    散步 Sanbu

Based the slope of the terrain, your itinerary, and the shadows (meaning angle of sun in autumn), my guess is near North Lafayette.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Trip pictures

That's a cool pic, love the old backpacks, it is definitely North Lafayette. Here's a pic I took from just a few feet in front of where your group was during the summer months. (click for pic)

-Chris
    Last edited by dailey7779; 10-09-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Based the slope of the terrain, your itinerary, and the shadows (meaning angle of sun in autumn), my guess is near North Lafayette.
    I concur. The west slope is a dead give away. If you look at the slope, you will see in indentation, that's where the Greenleaf trail jogs left under a cliff band which also has a excellent spring under it.

Possibly somewhere near the junction of the Skookumchuck and the Garfield Ridge Trail on North Lafayette
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

That is a great photo....glad you saved it. Lafayette is one of my top 5 favorite NH mountains.
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    I concur. The west slope is a dead give away. If you look at the slope, you will see in indentation, that's where the Greenleaf trail jogs left under a cliff band which also has a excellent spring under it.
    I am always on the lookout for springs but your comment confuses me. Certainly the "Greenleaf trail jogs left under a cliff band which also has a excellent spring under it" as you say, but that's ON the Greenleaf trail going down towards the hut. You also say "I concur" but everyone else is talking about on the Garfield Ridge Trail north of Lafayette so I'm not sure what you're concurring with. If there is a spring somewhere near the Garfield Ridge Trail on the descending ridge of North Lafayette I'd love to know about it.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    I can't tell if it's the quality of the photo or if there aren't any cairns built yet. Cool shot. Agreed that is on GRT. Near North Lafayette, south of the Skookumchuck junction. The trail swings a bit to the west and gives you that in-look up the ridge towards Lafayette.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Here "we" are at about the same spot 45 years later. On that windy and chilly day I only met 4 other people going up the Bridle Path and down Skook to my hidden bike for the MTB ride back to Lafayette Place. Beautiful brisk day for this 78 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I am always on the lookout for springs but your comment confuses me. Certainly the "Greenleaf trail jogs left under a cliff band which also has a excellent spring under it" as you say, but that's ON the Greenleaf trail going down towards the hut. You also say "I concur" but everyone else is talking about on the Garfield Ridge Trail north of Lafayette so I'm not sure what you're concurring with. If there is a spring somewhere near the Garfield Ridge Trail on the descending ridge of North Lafayette I'd love to know about it.
    I can see why your confused, I did a good job confusing you. The other's are correct on "where" it was taken and I concurred with that. But, I misread the question and my answer details "what" the photo is taken off, not "where' it was taken. Better?