Thread: Blazing in Wilderness areas

Blazing in Wilderness areas

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news...laze-at-a-time

Interesting article considering the recent NH Fish and Game requests for funding for Search and Rescue. Lack of blazes potentially is going to increase number of S&Rs.

I guess they should post Wilderness areas "GPS equipped with tracks required to enter this area"

Or the ability to make common sense decisions and the use of a map and compass

This article was a timely article.

I saw two blowdowns with yellow rectangle blazes on them on the Black Mountain Pond Trail this weekend.

There was flagging and temporary signage at the "powerline bypass" of Guinea Pond Trail and there should be better flagging / signage (or blazing) at the "swamp bypass" just before Cold River.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post

I saw two blowdowns with yellow rectangle blazes on them on the Black Mountain Pond Trail this weekend.

There was flagging and temporary signage at the "powerline bypass" of Guinea Pond Trail and there should be better flagging / signage (or blazing) at the "swamp bypass" just before Cold River.
    BMP is heavily traveled enough that I don't think blazing will ever be an issue there and nothing other than manpower is preventing better signage or blazing of GPT as it is entirely outside of the Sandwich.

People using the less traveled trails with more obscure footbeds are usually more experienced and have the ability to weather an extended stay in the event they lose the trail and have to spend some more time in the woods.

The WMNF wilderness blazing restrictions are over the top.

Well-marked and well-maintained trails will result in significantly less environmental damage (such as trail creep and erosion) than the increasingly bad situation we have right now.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post

I've been asking the FS to get me some signs I can put up. My temporary signs were only supposed to be for one season, and that was last spring. I recently added the Saco end of the trail too, so so hopefully I can help clear up the path at the Beaver Ponds. That area isn't even wilderness, so it shouldn't be an issue.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)