Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Paradox :(

I am deeply saddened to hear about this.

I first met John on the summit of Moosilauke several years ago, as we were among the many hikers joining Jay H on his Northeast 115 finish. Because John and I corresponded so much on VFTT, it was like meeting an old friend. We exchanged a big bear hug and later hiked the South Peak and down the Carriage Road, along with Puck and Bobby. I learned quickly about John and his many puns that day.

About 18 months later, I hiked with John up Monroe, Washington and Jefferson on a bluebird day in January, along with Jason Berard and Rocket 21. Later that day, John, Jason and I watched the Pats squeak by the Ravens in the AFC Championship game. We miraculously found a table there, right in front of the TV. Many beers were drunk and a mountain of comfort food was devoured. Jason and I witnessed John pounding down a whole bunch of hot dogs. Think he could have competed with Joey Chestnut or Kobayashi in the Coney Island hot dog eating contest.

The last time I hiked with John was a Bonds-Zealand traverse, as mentioned earlier by Tim. Later that night, John, Jason, Larry D and I had dinner in Lincoln and drove to the car spot on Route 302 near Zealand Road. John and Larry D exchanged some rather "interesting" jokes on that drive, much to the delight of Jason and me. I don't know if I ever laughed harder than on that 40 minute drive.

John was a great guy. Am fortunate to have met him. He will be sorely missed.
    So when you reach the bottom line
    The only thing to do is climb
    Pick yourself up off the floor
    Anything ya want is yours

Song: Bottom Line
    Artist: Big Audio Dynamite
    Album: This is Big Audio Dynamite
    Year: 1985

RIP Paradox. As Marty stated, the last (and I think only) time I hiked with John was the winter B-Z traverse. Despite the long day, we still had time after the hike to share pizza and beer and (as Marty also notes) some very inappropriate jokes. Wish I had hiked with him more often. A couple of my friends hiked Flags with him this year, on Eisenhower. Sorry I could not join them.

Always sad when an old Views friend passes. It has happened too often.

Obituary

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    I forget when I met John. We were working NEHH at same time so we teamed up to tag some of the HH peaks in Maine. I recall one weekend visiting the Crockers and Reddington one rainy day and visiting E Kennebago the next day together. Here is silly selfie of two knuckleheads looking very damp coming off Reddington at end of our excursion.

I may have met him at Annual Crawford Notch Bird Count. John participated in that event most years. We did some three bird watching trips up Mount Crawford, Stairs, and Dome. We never booked too many bird sightings. I think his bad puns scared the birds away. Here is snapshot of John ready to go at trail head for Crawford 18 December 2012

Here is nice snap shot of John on Stairs Mountain Ledges on 17 Dec 2011 with Rocky Branch Valley in background.

John was a true craftsman. I had good fortune to have him show me projects he was working on in his work shop – a kayak, a canoe, and camper trailer. Last time I saw him was in his workshop in December 2016. He was working on teardrop camper. I hope he got to use it some before he passed.

A canoe in progress

I send my sincere condolences to his wife and family.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161113_144436-M.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	6082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4383-M.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	6081  
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 10-17-2018 at 10:30 PM.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #44 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Donation request https://farnumcenter.org/donation/ (an opioid addiction resource)
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Special person, master craftsman, wordsmith....sending love to his family.
    ADK 46'r NE115'r NEHH NH 48 x 6 NH48W NH 329/576
    Terra NH 48 x 6+ ~93/100 NEHH ~ ADK 35/46 ~Rest in Peace Sweet One~
    Pemi NH4K~ Gem 47/48

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin View Post
    In front of his dental office, the sign reads "Parking for Patients only, all others will be extracted"
    Wonderful service and fitting tribute to a man taken from us far too soon. I managed to capture this while I was in the area.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7228.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	6085  
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    Wonderful service and fitting tribute to a man taken from us far too soon. I managed to capture this while I was in the area.

Tim

Agree. Church was standing room only. John will not be forgotten. He will be forever remembered in our love.
    GayOutdoors.org
    It's the journey, not the destination

I met John about 12 years ago when he joined my family for a Flags on the 48 hike. Jackson or Pierce.
    I asked him about his trail name: "What is that about ? A mystery wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a Paradox ?"
    "No", he replied: "I have 2 Doctorates."
    OKAY ! So, he has a sense of humor AND he needs to be taken seriously.

We hiked more and about a year later I sent an email to a few VFTT friends that I'd like to do Rainier and were they interested. John responded almost immediately that he was in. We trained separately, bought gear, hiked together and made the spring of 2008 reservations for Rainier. Our first morning in Ashford we went to the local diner and I ordered Eggs Benedict. After the waiter left John asked "Did you get the chrome plate ?" I didn't understand and so pretended I didn't hear him. He leaned in and repeated "Chip, did you get the chrome plate ?" I had to admit then I didn't know what he was talking about. He said "You ordered Eggs Benedict and...There's No Plates Like Chrome for the Hollandaise." Nice. So. How many breakfasts had he suffered where nobody ordered Eggs Benedict, waiting to tell that ? Did I need to pay perfect attention to everything he said going forward, not knowing if it was a simple comment or something more complex ?

He stayed with us in CT last month as he was competing in a 14 mile kayak race in LI Sound off South Norwalk. He won his division.

It was obvious at his service today how many lives he had a profoundly positive impact on.
    He will be missed, profoundly.
    Last edited by Chip; 10-20-2018 at 11:45 PM.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.