Baxter and Hamlin Peaks 10-6-18/Columbus Day weekend in Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
If I didn't have to work for a living, I would spend most of late September and early October in Baxter State Park, every year, as long as I'm on the right side of the daisies.

While I'm not able to do that (yet), I still feel very fortunate to be able to make at least one trip there every autumn.

On this particular Columbus Day weekend, we were able to hike Baxter and Hamlin Peaks on Saturday 10/6, and hobble and paddle around a bit on Sunday and Columbus Day, before heading home. Here are a few shots.

South Peak from Baxter Peak
p3125293758-6.jpg

This View From The Top never gets old, even though I do.
p3125293933-6.jpg

Ramblin to Hamblin? =)
p3125293986-6.jpg

Great Basin
p3125295270-6.jpg

Hunt Trail - Descending
p3125295495-6.jpg

Little Niagara
p3125292885-6.jpg

Alpenglow from Daicey Pond
p3125292919-6.jpg

Katahdin from Golden Road
p3125293753-6.jpg

These images and a few more (12 in all) can be viewed here.

Jonathan

Jonathan, I think if you stick with it and keep practicing, you'll eventually get the hang of this photography thing.

Columbus weekend always seems to be great at Baxter. I've spent all but two of my last 15 there, joining a group that has been doing that for 40 years. This year, half of the group did the Hunt-Abol loop to Baxter Peak on Saturday, so they may have passed you. The rest of us did the Doubletop traverse, from Kidney Pond over the two peaks to Neshowadnehunk, where we were camping. Baxter Peak is great but I'd done Hunt-Abol a couple of years ago and the views from the Doubletop summit ridge are unsurpassed, while the crowds are elsewhere (namely, on Baxter Peak). We did a variety of shorter hikes Sunday, including Little and Big Niagara. I'll keep my photos to myself - comparisons might embarass, and I don't mean you.

Thanks to all for the kind comments! Much appreciated. =)

Amicus, I absolutely agree about Doubletop. It's a spectacular hike, particularly at this time of year. We last did it in October 2015. Our original plan for this year had been to hike it on Sunday, the day after doing Katahdin, but that's before we decided (on the fly) to add Hamlin. Truth be told, we really weren't up for much of anything on Sunday.