Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Staking A Tent In The Snow

Quote Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
    I almost never use stakes in the winter.

If I'm using a tent, I'm well below treeline.

I find and bury deadfall branches. I loop a long cord around the stick, stamp down snow on top of it to work harden and then secure and tension the working end of the line using a truckers hitch.

The truckers hitch secures with a slip knot so it unties easily. Then I just pull the cord out, leaving the deadfall buried in the snow till spring.

Andrew Sk???a from Sierra Design has a good You Tube video on tying the truckers hitch. It's a very useful knot for tarps and tent tie outs.
    Great advice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W86XNUmElP4
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Yup.

Here's the video I was thinking of. (now that I'm back at my console ;^)

https://youtu.be/slOhlEmBwwY
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

Quote Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
    I almost never use stakes in the winter.

If I'm using a tent, I'm well below treeline.

I find and bury deadfall branches. I loop a long cord around the stick, stamp down snow on top of it to work harden and then secure and tension the working end of the line using a truckers hitch.

The truckers hitch secures with a slip knot so it unties easily. Then I just pull the cord out, leaving the deadfall buried in the snow till spring.

Andrew Sk???a from Sierra Design has a good You Tube video on tying the truckers hitch. It's a very useful knot for tarps and tent tie outs.
    Yes someone shared that video here for me in another post a few years ago (maybe you )and that is pretty much how I set up just about everything now. Quick and easy even for a "knot challenged" guy like myself. And I get the logic of branches for a deadman anchor. However this post is kind of a derivative question to another post I had where I indicated I'd be camping near treeline where decent sticks to use would likely not be available. Otherwise great advice and that is what I would do.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

I've always used my ski poles, and snowshoes just set into the snow at an angle, just like a stake. As others said, wait a few minutes after setting them before attaching the guy lines.

They're easy to tie off to, and easy to remove when breaking camp. If I need more than those, then I'll use buried sticks, as others have mentioned.
    It's a lot like fun, but different.

I use the MSR blizzard stake (actually I have a mixed set of like three different brands). I tie pcord to the stakeout point on the tent, then loop it through two of the holes in the stake and connect up with a tautline hitch. Do this all before leaving home. When setting camp, I bury the stakes as deadmans and tighten up the line to suit, then stamp down the smow. Dig out in the morning, knock the snow off; it usually doesn't stick on too firmly.