Wind turbines in GMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go get 'em Roy !

Can you keep us posted on their response and would it be useful to have others of us here to add to your comments after we've heard their reply?
I suggest waiting for others to frame comments concerning their objections.
We could sure use your determination in saving some of the Adirondack fire towers or on other issues the hiking public has an interest in over here.

Alan

Thanks for your mention of glade skiing. I and many of my friends ski that ridge. It's visited regularly every winter.

bcskier

P.S. Did they ever hold the public hearing they were proposing? It was supposed to happen in late Oct. or early Nov.?

P.S. Did they ever hold the public hearing they were proposing? It was supposed to happen in late Oct. or early Nov.?
I don't know

Can you keep us posted on their response and would it be useful to have others of us here to add to your comments after we've heard their reply?
I will certainly let you know how it comes out but I have no clue how best to influence the Forest Service or they wouldn't have made this proposal :)

I would guess that if they'd received 20 letters at scoping time they wouldn't have been able to brush recreational issues under the rug, hence those that care might want to write now relative to Grass, Corporation, Hoosac proposal mentioned earlier in this note.

A local politician thinks the application will be denied as there is no benefit to locals - the power will be sold to the grid at a premium price and the profits go to a foreign company

Last edited:
Tough Subject

This really is a hot button issue. You do kinda have to be 'apolitical' on it. On one had it is good for the environment (unless you are a bird). But they aren't exactly what you want to see in your backyard.

Fact is from WV to ME we get a lot of wind at the ridgetops. You guys should see how many windfarms are going up down here in PA and WV. Here is a pic of about six from one farm near Thomas, Wv Right off Rt 219

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2959193380058707914VPrGuS

They angle each one a little different in order to make wind direction less a factor in the overall output of each farm.

I too wonder how economically and environmentally helpful they are in the end. I think the ones in the PA/WV corridor are doing quite well as they are building them frequently and when you drive by they are spinning quite well. A Spanish company called Gamesa has built a huge plant for manufacturing the windmills in nearby Ebensburg, PA.

I hear the plain states will be getting a lot of these farms as well. It's a touchy issue with me.

Though I am for wind energy, I really don't want to see these things on hiking grounds. Mt Washington is commercialized enough! Leave them to the private landowners, at least they can get payments/royalties like with a cell tower or gas well.

Last edited:
Hikers with no particular destination in mind will be less affected by
the project than peakbaggers who care mostly about summits.

Roy, thanks for posting and being involved.

I'd like to point out that this is not true for at least one "hiker with no particular destination in mind". No way in hell will I hike on a mountain that has a factory on it. I don't want to listen to factory noise while I'm in the forest. That mountain would be rendered a sprawl zone. Factories and noise in the forest?...no thanks

I'd like to point out that this is not true for at least one "hiker with no particular destination in mind". No way in hell will I hike on a mountain that has a factory on it. I don't want to listen to factory noise while I'm in the forest. That mountain would be rendered a sprawl zone. Factories and noise in the forest?...no thanks
I hope you sent that opinion to the Forest Service instead of just writing it here

The DEIS contains a large section on noise, apparently the new turbines are very quiet and make the most noise when wind noises in the trees tend to mask it

If you still prefer to do your exploring before anything is built, Figure 3.12-1 is a map of the old growth beech areas which bear are thought to value

I for one am in support of wind farms. One way to become energy independent. Let it be off the coast or near some, but not all, ridge lines. Bigest problem, and maybe eyesore, would be the transmission lines going from the farms to population centers.

The revised DEIS is ready, comments until March 4
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/gre.../links/projects/nepa_project.htm?project=7838

Due to problems with the FS website, it is also available at
http://data.ecosystem-management.org/nepaweb/nepa_content.php?project=7838

The project has been scaled back but still features turbines on 2 summits, they will be open to the public for now but if (when?) the project is found to have an adverse impact on bears those areas will be closed. If you ever expect to climb the VT100/NE3k/NE500 I suggest you bag these peaks before construction starts, they can easily both be done in a day in winter so why wait?

I'd like to see some off the coast also. From what I see, they are pretty close to Route 9 so not too bad to get connected to the grid. It's been years since I've been out that way but I seem to recall a gas pipleine in that general area. (My Aunt used to own a B&B in Marlboro)

I probably won't do those lists Roy mentioned but I expect the turbines will be visible from Greylock.

The revised DEIS is ready, comments until March 4
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/gre.../links/projects/nepa_project.htm?project=7838

Due to problems with the FS website, it is also available at
http://data.ecosystem-management.org/nepaweb/nepa_content.php?project=7838

The project has been scaled back but still features turbines on 2 summits, they will be open to the public for now but if (when?) the project is found to have an adverse impact on bears those areas will be closed. If you ever expect to climb the VT100/NE3k/NE500 I suggest you bag these peaks before construction starts, they can easily both be done in a day in winter so why wait?

The appeals process must have run its course. Construction seems to be underway. I was up there yesterday and the corridor for the overhead transmission line has now been cut. There are equipment and materials in a staging area in the GMP enclosure at the bottom of the current turbine access road.