sunburned lips...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
I've read there is a prescription ointment for sunburned lips (thanks to Rainier and me forgetting to put on labiosan. d'oh!). Is there anything non-prescription or perhaps just aloe vera or something that i could use to reduce the swelling and the sores?

Jay

I'm very prone to getting cold sores if I get too much exposure to sun. There are a few things that I use to prevent it in the first place. A minimum of SPF 35 for my face and SPF 20 lip ointment.
However since you are past this stage, if you have "cold sores" because of the sun exposure I recommend two things.
1) taking 500mg of Lysine 3 times a day for 4-6 days
2) using Abreva OTC cold sore medication

as for the sunburned part, I'd think an Aloe Vera form of ointment would work well. Just read the back to make sure it can be used on more sensitive parts of your skin (like lips, near eyes, etc).

Ditto what onrhodes said - I have to be careful to use lip balm with sunscreen as well, and found that abreva is the fastest healer for the sores.

Last edited:
Reactions: yam
Thanks, I'll be looking for that Abeva stuff on my way home from work.

Silly thing is I had the labiosan in my first aid kit on the way up but never remembered to put it on.

Jay

I'd question using a cold sore medication for something it's not intended for. Does the label say it's okay for sunburns? I'd check, just to be sure.

Aloe vera gel is great for sunburns (I'm originally from Florida, so I should know). It'll really help keep your skin from drying, and if you get 100% aloe, you won't have to worry about getting it in your mouth too much. It works, pure and simple.

Good luck.

From the Abreva website:

Sun Exposure
Sure they're called cold sores, but they're often triggered by the sun. Sunlight and ultraviolet (UV) rays can damage skin and trigger cold sores.

twigeater said:
From the Abreva website:

Sun Exposure
Sure they're called cold sores, but they're often triggered by the sun. Sunlight and ultraviolet (UV) rays can damage skin and trigger cold sores.

That doesn't mean it's a cold sore. Blistering of the skin could also be a second degree sunburn.

Artex said:
I'd question using a cold sore medication for something it's not intended for. Does the label say it's okay for sunburns? I'd check, just to be sure.
That is why I made the distinction in my original post. If you know you suffer from cold sores, and sunburns can be a direct cause of an outbreak, the go with the abreva and lysine. If you're just sunburned, then go with aloe vera.

However in his original post he mentions sores. So, if he has sores they are either second degree burns and he should go see a doctor, or they are going to be the herpes virus rearing it's ugly head and the abreva will work fine.

Last edited:
onrhodes said:
That is why I made the distinction in my original post. If you know you suffer from cold sores, and sunburns can be a direct cause of an outbreak, the go with the abreva and lysine. If you're just sunburned, then go with aloe vera.

However in his original post he mentions blisters. So, if he has blisters they are either second degree burns and he should go see a doctor, or they are going to be the herpes virus rearing it's ugly head and the abreva will work fine.

Yep, that clarifies it. Just wanted JayH to be careful. Thanks!

yep, and I "dittoed" what onrhodes said - prone to cold sores I am, though mostly from the sun.

Well, to clarify things, I have small blisters on almost my entire lower lip, with two small blobs I think are cold sores on the corners. I would think they are 2nd deg sunburn from summit day on Rainier.

I saw the price of Abreva and said "no thanks", it's not that painful and I don't get cold sores too much but I will use some aloe vera (I have a plant! :D ).

Jay