How often do you replace your hiking boots?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TMax said:
For me, it's definitely mileage, not time that a pair of boots give that matters.

I know several people have spoken about mileage versus the amount of time they've had their boots. I've hiked about 465 miles so far this year, mostly in the boots (I would guess about 75 miles of that was winter hiking split between my Koflach Degres and Montrail Moraines, the rest of the mileage was on the Torres.)

Lots of people seem to have good luck with the Asolos, so I'm taking a look at their boots now.

- Ivy

Last edited:
hi ivy

as an outdoor guide i use ASOLO gore-tex boot. it's a dry sturdy boot in all conditions even when wet :) i've had mine for 3 years now and its a first for me cuz im tuff on boots. also use a gator to help keep rain and dirt out.
have fun. by the way i liked your 100 mile wilderness trip report.

I have a pair of Limmer Standards for the rugged stuff and backpacking, and a pair of lightweights for faster dayhikes in the warmer weather. They have both held up very well. I have odd feet but was able to work with the stock limmers with a tongue pad. The people at Limmer are very helpfull and there is a lot they can do do fine tune the fit of their stock boots if you have special foot concerns.

I've also noticed but not used a consignment area they have with everything from little used to very used boots.

I think all leather is the way to go. I had two pairs of Vasque Skywalk many years ago and each pair lasted about 5 yrs. Then I switched to Vasque Montagne, a heavyweight all leather one piece boot. It was awesome, lasted 13 yrs with 2 sole replacements. This boot was bomb proof, and very waterproof. Now I wear a Scarpa medium weight all leather boot. It fit wells, but does not waterproof like the rough-out Vasque. I'm impressed with the sole grip. I've worn these about 2.5 years and will need a sole replacement soon. My experience has been that the softer soles generally grip better bbut wear more quickly. have other people noticed this?

poison ivy said:
I know several people have spoken about mileage versus the amount of time they've had their boots.

My son is an ineresting case here. He gets about a year with his boots. He's a pro trailwork with the ADK, and wears his boots at least 6 days a week. Early in the summer, he does a lot of miles.. about 100 miles on patrol nithe first week or so, but after that, it's a short hike of several miles to the work site, then very little walking. He will have 8 hour days standing in mud or water.

His boots are fairly low milage, but they get worked hard. He probably retires them with not much more than 150 miles on them.

I am looking at three pairs of vasques on the floor, no idea what they are, cheap , on sale, The 2 with nylon panels are ripped and torn, and nearly bald. The solid leather goretex is in one piece but losing its tread. I wear them every day from spring to fall,working, hiking, what ever, the oldest being 4 years the newest a couple. They are too comfortable to discard. My winter vasques are 6-7 years old(another on sale purchase), and except for some harness wear marks are in good shape except the goretex is breaking down.

I had to sit and figure this out. My LLBean leather gtx cresta boots are on their 4th season and I have about 432 miles on them. The upper is still in pretty good shape. I keep them clean and use Kiwi shoe polish on them to keep the leather in good shape. The soles are getting pretty worn down now though. Probably need a new pair after this year.