Which down jacket to buy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Polarguard

I have a Patagonia Puff jacket, which I enjoy very much. I tend to stick away from down for the fact that it costs more and when wet, loses some of its insulative properties. On one occasion, I was hiking to 13 Falls in the late winter when I slipped through a section of thin ice. Needless to say my pack got wet including my sleeping bag and the hood of my Puff jkt. That night when the temp dropped again, the bottom of my sleeping bag froze stiff while my Puff jacket kept me warm. I do realize I could have avoided this with a water resistant stuff sack, I was pretty much all set with down after that.

Another vote for the MH Sub Zero. It's heavier than most lightweight down jackets. But the hood makes a huge difference and its long enough to cover my long back (a big problem for me and gear).

I do like the idea of synthetics for multi-day trips but in reality I don't often go winter camping for more than 1 night. If I found a good deal online I'd probably pick one up though.

-Shayne

Seems that all bases have been covered on down jackets. Just adding my two cents about daul duty, around town and on the trail. I found my dear expensive gear last a whole lot longer if I only use it only when hiking/climbing etc. As for around town, no need for expensive high techy clothes.

As for down coats, mine is a 700 fill North Face. Don't use it allot while hiking, except above treeline and peaks like Rainer, other times wearing it (and every thing else) setting around camp. If it's a really cold night will pull it into my sleeping bag.

Karl Hungus said:
Being able to where it around town doesn't have to be an option. I'd just like to get a lot of miles/uses out of whatever I purchase.

I really haven't looked into synth fills because I prefer the benefits of down. However since I want to make a good purchase I will explore my options.

IMO, you need to think a lot about how you are going to use your jacket in the bc.

With my down jacket ($35 clearance at EMS), tend to keep it in the pack till I'm in camp and changed into dry clothes to protect it from wet. I also only take it when temps are guaranteed to be well below 28F to ensure I won't be dealing with wet snow.

With my synth jackets ($100 used parka and $35 clearance at EMS), I keep the parkas at the top of my pack and pull them out at every rest break, no matter how hot and sweaty I am.

Different things do different things better.