Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the 'easiest' 4000 footer in NH?

What is the 'easiest' 4000 footer in NH?

Hello,

I have about 17 mountains done on my 4000 footer list. My Mother (not a hiker, but kinda in shape) has been dying to go hiking with me so she's detracting me away from any long traverses this weekend. Instead, I agreed to do a simple hike with her, but I want it to be a lone-baby 4000 foot mountain that doesn't have a long walk to base (close to the road).

Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm a little pressed for time to hunt through the trail guide and I'd appreciate any/all help I could get.

Thanks!

erin

Osceola from Tripoli Road is about as easy as you get.

-Dr. Wu
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
    -Thomas Paine

Osceola from Tripoli Rd is the easiest 4k. It has a great view, but is not lone, since East Peak is nearby. East Peak out and back would increase the difficulty.

Tecumseh is also relatively easy but has much less, if any view. (It's been a while, I don't remember exactly.

Pierce via Crawford Path is also not bad, but is near Jackson and Eisenhower which a lot of people combine with it.

Maybe Waumbek would be a good one. It's a little further to drive, has no view. But the view along the way from Mt Starr King is pretty nice.
    Last edited by SteveHiker; 09-28-2005 at 09:36 AM. Reason: scooped by Dr Wu.

I suggest Waumbek. Relatively easy, nice views from Starr King, and she might appreciate looking at the fine homes along Starr King Rd. as much as the hike.

Steve

Tecumseh if you don't want her to ask to go again. Pierce if you'd love to have her keep asking.

I agree with Pierce as the choice.
    Osceola has a bouldery trail at first, which can be discouaging to some hikers.
    Pierce offers an early waterfall, a do-able grade, and it gets easier the higher you go. And, if it goes well, you can descend via Mizpah hut, just to check it out, but the trail from the summit to Mizpah is steeper than the Crawford Path.

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by carole
    Tecumseh if you don't want her to ask to go again. Pierce if you'd love to have her keep asking.
    I was just up there recently, and there are views in various directions. The summit can be a bit crowded, but if you take the spur path, there is a really easy walk out to a wooden bench that someone constructed at a nice view point.

Hale might be another choice, but it has limited views....
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO
    Trail maintainer for the Dry Brook Ridge trail from Mill Brook Road to just past the Lean-to

waumbek or hale

I was also going to suggest Hale but isn't the Zealand Rd. Still closed for work? If so, Hale becomes a bit more
    of an effort. Not "hard" just a tedious road walk at the beginning and end. Can't remember the mileage of it.
    -vegematic
    If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat

H: Brighton, MA, Avatar :Brian and I at the 2005 Ski Gathering
    Pierce, Jackson, Waumbek are all great choices.

sli74
    LIFE, I shall persevere! Everytime you knock me down, I will get up stronger.

I share carole's sentiments... bring her up a mountain with great views like Pierce or Osceola.

- Ivy

Easier hikes

Pierce, Osceola, Tecumseh, Jackson (I think), Tom (decent views now), and a little longer, but not too tough is Carter Dome via CD Trail or Moosilauke via the Carriage Road.
    - Mike

How bad can it be?
    Bobby

Osceola from Tripoli Road is my favorite of the easier ones.

Mohamed's web site is a great resource for inquiries like yours Errapi. I suggest taking a look at the following page and following through with the available links, as appropriate:

http://home.earthlink.net/~ellozy/difficulty.html
    "I am done with great things and big plans, great institutions and big success. I am for those tiny, invisible loving human forces that work from individual to individual, creeping through the crannies of the world like so many rootlets, or like the capillary oozing of water, which, if given time, will rend the hardest monuments of pride."
    --William James (1842-1910)

Balancing ease with Wow factor I would have to say:

Liberty
    Jackson
    Eisenhower
    Mt. Hight, via 19 mile brook - IMO, this may have the best ease/views ratio of all the 4k's

I remember these as being pretty easy, but I'm not always the best judge... just ask my wife or a number of my friends who won't let me pick hikes when they come with me.

Just keep in mind that it is getting cold and your Mom should have plenty of layers if you are doing any 4ks this weekend.