What is the 'easiest' 4000 footer in NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

errapi

Reaction score
Hello,

I have about 17 mountains done on my 4000 footer list. My Mother (not a hiker, but kinda in shape) has been dying to go hiking with me so she's detracting me away from any long traverses this weekend. Instead, I agreed to do a simple hike with her, but I want it to be a lone-baby 4000 foot mountain that doesn't have a long walk to base (close to the road).

Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm a little pressed for time to hunt through the trail guide and I'd appreciate any/all help I could get.

Thanks!

erin

Osceola from Tripoli Rd is the easiest 4k. It has a great view, but is not lone, since East Peak is nearby. East Peak out and back would increase the difficulty.

Tecumseh is also relatively easy but has much less, if any view. (It's been a while, I don't remember exactly.

Pierce via Crawford Path is also not bad, but is near Jackson and Eisenhower which a lot of people combine with it.

Maybe Waumbek would be a good one. It's a little further to drive, has no view. But the view along the way from Mt Starr King is pretty nice.

Last edited:
I suggest Waumbek. Relatively easy, nice views from Starr King, and she might appreciate looking at the fine homes along Starr King Rd. as much as the hike.

Steve

Tecumseh if you don't want her to ask to go again. Pierce if you'd love to have her keep asking. :D

I agree with Pierce as the choice.
Osceola has a bouldery trail at first, which can be discouaging to some hikers.
Pierce offers an early waterfall, a do-able grade, and it gets easier the higher you go. And, if it goes well, you can descend via Mizpah hut, just to check it out, but the trail from the summit to Mizpah is steeper than the Crawford Path.

carole said:
Tecumseh if you don't want her to ask to go again. Pierce if you'd love to have her keep asking. :D

I was just up there recently, and there are views in various directions. The summit can be a bit crowded, but if you take the spur path, there is a really easy walk out to a wooden bench that someone constructed at a nice view point.

Hale might be another choice, but it has limited views....

I was also going to suggest Hale but isn't the Zealand Rd. Still closed for work? If so, Hale becomes a bit more
of an effort. Not "hard" just a tedious road walk at the beginning and end. Can't remember the mileage of it.
-vegematic

Balancing ease with Wow factor I would have to say:

Liberty
Jackson
Eisenhower
Mt. Hight, via 19 mile brook - IMO, this may have the best ease/views ratio of all the 4k's

I remember these as being pretty easy, but I'm not always the best judge... just ask my wife or a number of my friends who won't let me pick hikes when they come with me.

Just keep in mind that it is getting cold and your Mom should have plenty of layers if you are doing any 4ks this weekend.

clg898 said:
Balancing ease with Wow factor I would have to say:

Liberty
Jackson
Eisenhower
Mt. Hight, via 19 mile brook - IMO, this may have the best ease/views ratio of all the 4k's

I remember these as being pretty easy, but I'm not always the best judge... just ask my wife or a number of my friends who won't let me pick hikes when they come with me.

Just keep in mind that it is getting cold and your Mom should have plenty of layers if you are doing any 4ks this weekend.

According to Mohamed's site, Hight may be tougher than I remember, but 19 mile brook is a flat, pleasant walk, and I remember the grades and footing the rest of the way up to Hight as being good/moderate. Don't make a loop by Carter Notch hut unless your Mom is very comfortable with steep, rough terrain, and feeling fresh... it's very steep and the footing is lousy, esp. coming down.

Wow, thanks for all your responses! (in short of time!) I've already done a few of the mountains you mentioned (Tom, Hale, Waumbek, Mt. Hight).

From your descriptions: I'll look at that website (further into):

Pierce
Jackson
Osceola

Thanks again!

erin