Astonomy and the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Artex said:
Here's an interesting article from the AP. Just another reason to keep looking up next time you hike in the 'Dacks. :)

Adirondacks Seen As Dark Skygazer Paradise
I went to Clarkson University (mentioned in the article) and was in the physics dept. there & helped maintain the observatory which was located in a field near a small airport. I've never seen anything like it -- the sky was so black & the Milky Way in full view. Even when I lived in Bangor, Maine I never saw anything like the views in Potsdam. Perhaps it was drier at night and thus clearer?

In addition, the site was remote enough that you'd hear coyotes howling all night long and could see them near the observatory quite often.

-Dr. Wu

Artex said:
Here's an interesting article from the AP. Just another reason to keep looking up next time you hike in the 'Dacks.

Thanks for posting this link! I was aware of this effort, but I'm glad to see that people are putting their money where their mouth is. Especially the town, which actually will *SAVE* money in the long run.

Ironically, the darkest skies I can recall for a long time were over in New Hampshire! :D

Tom Rankin said:
Ironically, the darkest skies I can recall for a long time were over in New Hampshire! :D
Although I grew up in the western ADKs (where I very early became passionate about astronomy), I went to college on Long Island where I majored in theoretical (meaning mathematical, versus observational) astronomy. But every time I returned home at night and got out of the car, my jaw would drop at the beauty of dark skies I never saw on the end of L.I. It still happens today.

I can remember a few years ago looking at the stars from the Bradley Pond parking area and the sky was almost white with them. My son and i still mention how clear that sky was.

Great article!

Part of the beauty of backpacking/camping is the beautiful night sky.

<activist hat on> As people move out of urban areas, our "dark puddles" are threatened by increasing light pollution. As mentioned, there are simple technics for homeowners and businesses to reduce light pollution, technics that also SAVE $$$! For instance, a simple hood over a floodlight focusses the light down to where it is used, thereby reducing the wattage neccessary to do the same job. This saves significant cost for a small expenditure.

Learn more at international dark sky association

Last edited:
forestnome said:
For instance, a simple hood over a floodlight focusses the light down to where it is used, thereby reducing the wattage neccessary to do the same job./URL]
Another approach is to use low-pressure sodium lamps. Their light output is in narrow spectral lines which are relatively easy for astronomers to filter out. The light appears yellow to the human eye.

Doug

I love looking at the stars on an unbelievably clear night. I may be inclined to check this out some time in the future. The most unbelievable star gazing I did was on a cool day on board a ship in the middle of the Atlantic. It was around 2 am, I was on watch standing on the bridge wing, and just appreciating a sky without light pollution. I saw a shooting star cross the sky that was so bright that I had to squint. I have always cherished that memory, and look forward to any opportunities that might compare to it. Thanks Jamie for pointing this out!

heavens above

While we are on the topic, be sure to check out the heavens above web page. Among the routine astronomy info and charts for your location... If you have never seen an Iridium flare bright enough to cast a shadow, then you are in for a real treat - read about how on this web page. You can see almost one every night (sometimes 2 or more) if you know what time and where to look.

Nessmuk said:
If you have never seen an Iridium flare bright enough to cast a shadow, then you are in for a real treat - read about how on this web page.
Spectacular, but hardly an astronomical event....

(Iridium flares are reflections of the sun off a highly polished antenna on an Iridium satellite.)

Doug

DougPaul said:
Spectacular, but hardly an astronomical event....

(Iridium flares are reflections of the sun off a highly polished antenna on an Iridium satellite.)

Doug
Never claimed as an astronomical event, but a good dusk time lead-in to an astronomy session for the astronomy knowledge challenged general public. It gets people looking up at least, and most find it an exciting man-made event in concert with nature, leading to unlimited interesting discussions about the heavens and physics and satellites of all kinds. I've guided wilderness trips more than once where I have "arranged" to point to a surprise iridium flare in the sky at the appointed moment, then began a tour of the heavens session (the "real" astronomy). It helps get the excitement going for finding the less conspicuous deep sky objects most people never thought they could see.

By the way, look for ever brightening Venus in the morning sky over the next few weeks. Though not as bright as an iridium flare, it will also cast a visible shadow if you have a dark enough viewing place and bright background (snow). I believe one may consider that Venus's show is a bona fide "astronomical event" of some duration.

Last edited: