Foot Pain While Hiking

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
I have been experiencing for pain for some time. The pain has always been located in the front areas; ahead of the ball of my foot and in the toes. Usually, the toe discomfort has been in the second through fourth toes from the base of the toe to the end, but occasionally the large toe joins the action. It’s a sharp, burning pain. The forefoot pain is always between the balls of my foot and the bottom of the toes. The pain is almost always there after a steep and rough descent. Consequently, it’s generally at the end of the hike; the final few miles are extremely tough.

Once the pain reaches a very high level I have no choice but to stop and wait for it to subside. Usually, only a few minutes are needed for the recovery. This stop and start routine always happens several times during a hike. A few years ago I needed fifteen to twenty miles before the pain was unbearable. Now, a short hike of seven to ten miles can do it.

Well, seven to ten miles is at best about half the normal hike distance I’m interested in during the summer. A while back I started really digging in for information about the potential problem and possible solution by chasing symptoms on various high-reputation websites. The Mayo Clinic site was one of my primary targets having been recommended by a number of doctors that I have personal experience with.

Last week, we completed two relatively short hikes; Hancocks and Tecumseh. Multiple times on the exit hike for the Hancocks I needed to stop and wait for the pain to go down. The same was true for Tecumseh. I ended the day with sore toes. The toe pain generally remained all week and I started the hike yesterday with sore toes.

In researching the symptoms that I was experiencing the information seemed to point to common causes for two different conditions. I don’t know which or even if one of the two conditions is mine but I decided to address the possible cause to see if a solution was available. The first solution I decided on was a metatarsal pad. On-line there are a number of sources for these items. They’re inexpensive and available from a number of manufacturers. I was interested in finding a local source. I checked everywhere for these things and could only find models intended for women (evidently, these are popular to address foot discomfort caused by certain shoe types). In the course of my research, I found the same general complaint exists with many runners. Last resort, I called a store that caters to runners and they had exactly what I was looking for. I drove over and picked up a pair.

Friday I installed the pads into my boots. On Saturday, I started the day with sore toes and we hiked the Whiteface & Passaconaway loop. Roughly an hour into the hike I decided the right boot felt great but the left boot needed some adjustment. I removed the foot bed and repositioned the metatarsal pad. Back underway the left boot felt significantly better than before. I didn’t make any additional stops to adjust the pads, but there was still room for improvement on the left side.

We completed the hike and I did not make even one stop for toe pain. I can’t remember the last time I was able to complete a hike without at least a couple stops. My toes hurt at the end of the hike, but probably no worst than they did at the start. I’m very happy with the change.

Maybe, I’m headed for a solution to the problem.

I’m hoping.

:D

Morton's Neuroma

On descents your foot goes through more compression; from impact and sliding. Anything causing pressure to that area will agitate it. You feel it less on your climbs up because they are more controlled and your foot spreads out.

Morton's Neuroma

On descents your foot goes through more compression; from impact and sliding. Anything causing pressure to that area will agitate it. You feel it less on your climbs up because they are more controlled and your foot spreads out.

From the research I've done, the two conditions that have similar symptoms in-line with the symptoms I'm experiencing are Morton's Neuroma and Metatarsalgia. Both can be similarly irritated. And, both can be relieved with similar solutions.

Unfortunately, there are a number of pain medications available that might also relieve the discomfort but for me they are off-limits.

From the research I've done, the two conditions that have similar symptoms in-line with the symptoms I'm experiencing are Morton's Neuroma and Metatarsalgia. Both can be similarly irritated. And, both can be relieved with similar solutions.

Unfortunately, there are a number of pain medications available that might also relieve the discomfort but for me they are off-limits.

Here is one of the more straight foward articles I know of explaining the two and the symptoms. Just realize that "Morton's Neuroma" is referring to a more specified problem while "Metatarsaglia" is a more general term covering multiple symptoms referring to forefoot pain.

Here is one of the more straight foward articles I know of explaining the two and the symptoms. Just realize that "Morton's Neuroma" is referring to a more specified problem while "Metatarsaglia" is a more general term covering multiple symptoms referring to forefoot pain.

On the Mayo Clinic website, Metatarsalgia as descussed here seems to describe a condition and symptoms in-line with mine.

Their discussion on Morton's Neuroma also describes a condition and symptoms in-line with mine.

I believe one is mainly mechanical and the other nerve related. It looks like a doctor and testing would be needed to determine which the actual problem is. Fortunately, (I think) both can be addressed with similar techniques for relief.

For now, I intend to continue with the metatarsal pads and will also experiment with arch supports.

For relief from my hiking foot pain, I think I'm finally headed down the right path (no pun intended).

:D

I've felt the same pain. Switching to a wider toe-box boot helped so much! I felt a very similar pain this winter when I laced my boots too tightly. Pain meds never did anything for my pain. It got to the point where I wondered about having the alcohol treatments but because I also have Lyme disease I know that pains can come and go. Good wishes, Earl!

I've felt the same pain. Switching to a wider toe-box boot helped so much!
I doubt this will be a solution for all types of toe pain, but I have similarly found that a combination of loose at the toes and tight by the ankle works well. I lace up a few passes from the bottom, adjust that to taste, and tie a square knot. Then the upper portion can be much tighter, finished off with a heel lock. My toes take little of the banging.

I doubt this will be a solution for all types of toe pain, but I have similarly found that a combination of loose at the toes and tight by the ankle works well. I lace up a few passes from the bottom, adjust that to taste, and tie a square knot. Then the upper portion can be much tighter, finished off with a heel lock. My toes take little of the banging.

How do you untie the square knot for unlacing?

I've felt the same pain. Switching to a wider toe-box boot helped so much! I felt a very similar pain this winter when I laced my boots too tightly. Pain meds never did anything for my pain. It got to the point where I wondered about having the alcohol treatments but because I also have Lyme disease I know that pains can come and go. Good wishes, Earl!
Thanks Ellen,

I'm very encouraged with the results from this first test of the metatarsal pads. The instructions warned to only use them for a short period if it was a first-time use. I'm a guy and knew better - so I used them all day. A back-up set of footbeds was in my pack, just in case. I'm looking forward to the next time out and hope for more positive results.

I have tried different lacing techniques and found some change in overall foot comfort but this particular problem remained unchanged.

From one big guy to another I've found massaging my feet by rolling a lacross ball under my foot has cured all my foot pain. Roll that ball right into the sore spot every day few weeks while watching TV and it goes away.

I also exercise and walk stairs bare foot for conditioning.

Earl, I was wondering what kind of boots you hike in? I know you put in alot of miles as many out here do. To be honest, it amazes me the footwear people hike in and how lightweight it is. I think alot of hikers get away with light boots because thier young. I use heavy boots and have tried to go lightweight but always ended up with sore feet. Just a thought. your feet take alot of abuse hiking, after a few thousand peaks, I think they need to be protected from the smashing and pressure of many miles. just a thought.
P.S. I wear Makalues (sportiva) heavy as hell, but I can smash my feet all day long and they stay protected, besides I love the ankle support ( another issue for hardcore longtime hikers). good luck earl.

From one big guy to another I've found massaging my feet by rolling a lacross ball under my foot has cured all my foot pain. Roll that ball right into the sore spot every day few weeks while watching TV and it goes away.

I also exercise and walk stairs bare foot for conditioning.
Interesting. I'll give it a try - thanks.

Earl, I was wondering what kind of boots you hike in? I know you put in alot of miles as many out here do. To be honest, it amazes me the footwear people hike in and how lightweight it is. I think alot of hikers get away with light boots because thier young. I use heavy boots and have tried to go lightweight but always ended up with sore feet. Just a thought. your feet take alot of abuse hiking, after a few thousand peaks, I think they need to be protected from the smashing and pressure of many miles. just a thought.
P.S. I wear Makalues (sportiva) heavy as hell, but I can smash my feet all day long and they stay protected, besides I love the ankle support ( another issue for hardcore longtime hikers). good luck earl.
Thanks, sierra,

The boots I have are Asolo Powermatic 500's. There is nothing lightweight about them.

right on earl, one more thing, as you work this out try to keep hiking. many people are advised to stop hiking and heal, me, Ive hiked through alot of ailments. I think the body learns to adapt, it needs help but not sitting at home imo.

right on earl, one more thing, as you work this out try to keep hiking. many people are advised to stop hiking and heal, me, Ive hiked through alot of ailments. I think the body learns to adapt, it needs help but not sitting at home imo.
Thanks.

You and I first met January 1, 2006 on the Liberty Spring Trail. We had an interesting discussion regarding boots at that time. I had recently purchased a new pair of leather boots that were quite a bit heavier than the ones they replaced, which were a pair of Merrells. As I recall, you had a pair of Merrell Wilderness boots and had only good comments to make about them. You weren’t wearing them on that day.

I was already experiencing foot issues at that time. The exact same type of problems I’m experiencing now. They have continued and so have I. The option of extended couch time isn’t one that I’m interested in taking. I have learned of ways to deal with the discomfort.

Recently, I decided to try and learn more about the issue and see if there is a way to mitigate the pain. I believe I’m making progress.

I’m still not interested in bench time. I’ll keep doing what I’ve been doing but it looks like I may have new tricks to help me out. Hopefully, each time out I learn something new.

;)

How do you untie the square knot for unlacing?
For normal on-off, I don't...it's loose enough. On a heavier pair of boots, I'll use a surgeon's hitch rather than a square knot, which loosens more easily but of course doesn't hold perfectly.

For normal on-off, I don't...it's loose enough. On a heavier pair of boots, I'll use a surgeon's hitch rather than a square knot, which loosens more easily but of course doesn't hold perfectly.

I tried your tip yesterday on the Tripyramids (slides N up, S down), and it worked quite well.

I tried your tip yesterday on the Tripyramids (slides N up, S down), and it worked quite well.

I was on the Trips on Sunday as well. I had KT tape on my knees and was hiking with three of my girlfriends. We must have passed one another.

Last year I used this technique nearly all of the time. It allows lacing the bottom and top sections of the boot separately regarding tension. I hoped to go back to “normal” lacing techniques this year.

This past weekend I found the boots were laced too tight. On the descent from S. Twin I stopped to redo them. In the process I again went with the surgeon’s knot to lock the lower boot at a different tension level than the top. It works really well. Since the top of my boots are equipped with speed hooks it’s not that much extra work, holds well, and it comes apart easily.

I managed to make it through another longer hike and didn’t need to stop due to unbearable foot pain. My feet still hurt, mainly my right one on this hike, but it was an improvement.

I forgot my arch supports at home and that test will happen this weekend.

Thanks.

You and I first met January 1, 2006 on the Liberty Spring Trail. We had an interesting discussion regarding boots at that time. I had recently purchased a new pair of leather boots that were quite a bit heavier than the ones they replaced, which were a pair of Merrells. As I recall, you had a pair of Merrell Wilderness boots and had only good comments to make about them. You weren’t wearing them on that day.

I was already experiencing foot issues at that time. The exact same type of problems I’m experiencing now. They have continued and so have I. The option of extended couch time isn’t one that I’m interested in taking. I have learned of ways to deal with the discomfort.

Recently, I decided to try and learn more about the issue and see if there is a way to mitigate the pain. I believe I’m making progress.

I’m still not interested in bench time. I’ll keep doing what I’ve been doing but it looks like I may have new tricks to help me out. Hopefully, each time out I learn something new.

;)

yes earl, I remember that day on liberty, you where with "unfrozen caveman" and I believe you where doing the 4ks in one winter.anyway I hope to see you again someday out there and Im always glad your still out there as I enjoy your trip reports very much, your definetly a tough hiker.