Green Mountains Hiking Gudiebook

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other necessary guide is the a Delorme Map Atlas. A major challenge on many hikes in VT is finding the trai lhead, especially in Northern VT. Many roads arent signed and the various GPS databases arent that up to date. It also shows most trails.

The other necessary guide is the a Delorme Map Atlas. A major challenge on many hikes in VT is finding the trai lhead, especially in Northern VT. Many roads arent signed and the various GPS databases arent that up to date. It also shows most trails.
Thanks for the extra pointer! I already found in past years that getting to a trail head in VT can be a challenge in winter as some smaller roads are not maintained and once they get covered with snow they are not passable. Typically, I use parking gps coordinates that I read from OpenStreetMap with a modified version of this OpenLayers example: https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/mouse-position.html and then I put the coordinates into my car gps (I have a Garmin model that accepts coordinates for destination.) This usually works ok as long as the maps in my Garmin are up to date, however, I had a problem once before when my gps directed me to an old logging road that my car would not be able to handle.

On a separate but related note, OpenLayers examples make an excellent showcase of what cool things can be done with open map data model: https://openlayers.org/en/latest/examples/

I received GMC's Day Hiker's Guide to Vermont yesterday and took a quick look. It appears to cover a lot of trails including some not too far from Killington that I did not know about. Interestingly Killington is classified in the book as south western VT, so I guess my thinking that it was central VT shows how much more of VT I still haven't explored!

I don't know if there are any Green Mountain Club members here on VFTT, but given that the guide is published every 5 years or so I have a few suggestions for making it even more useful:
  1. List coordinates for parking and trail heads / trail junctions.
  2. Add accumulated ascent / accumulated descent info, so it is easier to figure out how much up & down a given trail is. Possibly add elevation profile if available.
  3. Verify trail locations. For example, I noticed that Canty Trail starts at a different spot - I'm guessing that it was relocated after the guide was already published in 2011.