Firescrew, or not: March 29, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U

Unregistered

Found about 8-12 inches of fresh snow Saturday morning. Planned on taking the Manning Trail up and over Firescrew to Cardigan, but never made it to the peak of Firescrew and turned around just below the peak.

Streams down low were open but with little water, easily crossable; lots of low branches and saplings the entire way, though. Wound up postholing often with the fresh snow obscuring the track. Up high the trail was harder to find, and I lost it above the treeline. Met a group of skiers on the side of Firescrew, but didn't see anyone else the entire time. Tried to summit, but I was having a tough time even with crampons on that ice and decided to come back down about 100 feet short of the top. Not the best conditions for a beginner -- maybe someone with more experience could've made it up and over.

I could see lots of bare rock up top, so I don't think there will be ice for too much longer.