Lost hiker in the Pemi

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.newhampshire.com/outdoor...ching-for-lost-hiker-from-Manchester-05032017

I saw a NG helicopter out yesterday morning and noticed a sheriffs department mobile unit at Beaver Brook last evening.

Temps were at near freezing last evening. In combination with yesterdays wet weather I hope he had to right gear and was capable of using it. Unless technology can give the S&R folks more of a location fix or a detailed itinerary, we can hope he somehow got back on the trail. Its supposed to be warm and sunny today so hopefully they can spot him.

Cell coverage is marginal to non existent in many parts of the Pemi. Sure sounds like a case where a Spot or a PLB would be great help.

http://www.newhampshire.com/outdoor...ching-for-lost-hiker-from-Manchester-05032017

I saw a NG helicopter out yesterday morning and noticed a sheriffs department mobile unit at Beaver Brook last evening.

Temps were at near freezing last evening. In combination with yesterdays wet weather I hope he had to right gear and was capable of using it. Unless technology can give the S&R folks more of a location fix or a detailed itinerary, we can hope he somehow got back on the trail. Its supposed to be warm and sunny today so hopefully they can spot him.

Cell coverage is marginal to non existent in many parts of the Pemi. Sure sounds like a case where a Spot or a PLB would be great help.

Seems like giving any information on where he is might help give other hikers an idea where to look. I wonder why that was omitted.

At this point it's been about 55 hours since the 911 call. If he'd been in good health and found a trail, he'd probably have reached a road by now. I'm never optimistic when the report mentions a 911 call at 2:45 AM, nor when it includes falling into a brook at this time of year.

TJ: because they don't want untrained volunteers bushwhacking around and ending up needing rescue themselves. (They've already checked the trails that he was supposed to be on.) If you've got S&R training and you're local, chances are you already know the phone number of somebody who can tell you where they're looking and where they've already looked.

The one sliver of optimism here is that deciduous trees aren't leafed out. If he's in a valley, he might be visible from the air.

I am not a S&R person, but participated in rescue dog training with the scouts years ago (they acted as the lost victims). There are a couple of types of scent dogs, one type is the type that most people associate with scent dogs where the dog is looking for a specific person with its nose to the ground, the other type of dog is trained to look for any person not associated with the handler its nose is usually up in the air. With either type of dog , S&R wants to keep the woods uncontaminated from other persons scents. Generally they prefer to bring in trained folks initially as they don't want to risk having someone else get hurt or lost during a rescue. I expect they will be using a lot or resources today as its the best day for several days. Generally the photos at the trailheads don't go up until the case goes cold.

According to the latest update, all trails have been checked. Which mean's he got off trail. Not a good scenario, given how long it's been.

Facebook SAR page indicated a second cell call was received today from the hiker and he was believed to be on a ridge of some sort. So he's still alive and kicking which is a great sign. I'd imagine if the brook incident would have caused hypothermia he'd be all done by now. He must have had the gear to deal with it and regroup.

It's a game of beat the clock now though with this huge rain storm coming in. Hopefully he knows it is coming and hunkers down to ride it out and doesn't attempt any more river crossings.

Just heard from someone that he has been found by SAR. No report on his condition, but he is alive.:D

"East side of Mt. Lincoln"

Sounds like he got off the ridge toward Pemi interior. Not a pleasant place to be in early May.

That's great news.

I really wish devices like SPOT were more cost achievable.

"East side of Mt. Lincoln"

Sounds like he got off the ridge toward Pemi interior. Not a pleasant place to be in early May.

Glad he's alive. Hope he's OK. The ridge is snow free, so maybe trying to take the Lincoln slide intentionally? I'd be curious what the itinerary was.

I wonder what he was tring to do? Did he get off the trail? Try bushwacking and fall into a flooded brook flowing under the snow? Sounds like he was an experienced hiker/traveler used extended back country travel.

Happy he was found alive.

I consider $250 for a PLB with no ongoing charges a pretty reasonable cost for having a reliable means of being located for 8 years (typical battery life). https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/personal-locator-beacon-resqlink--406-plb-174.html

Nevertheless great to hear good news about the rescue

Thanks for this. I need to give this a good look.

Do we know what the route was that he was on and why? I couldn't make out those details from the links.

Tough time of year. Super, super glad everything turned out well and zero judgement on where and why. More interested in learning, as I like goofing around in the Pemi too and would love to what and how things happened.

I was trying to understand the itinerary as well. Initially I thought he was IN the Pemi Wilderness, i.e. the Lincoln and Franconia Brook Trails, not traveling the ridges. I got the impression he worked his way up the side of Lincoln to maybe get better cell service. You'd think they would have found him much earlier if he had gone off the ridge and was close to it. I figured he was down in the stretches beyond Owl's Head or somewhere like that where the trail is sketchy and there are lots of brooks and stuff. Given his assumed experience level I'd think he wouldn't have gotten off trail on FWT or the ridge and if he fell in a river on FWT I'd think he would have bailed back down the trail rather than pressing on. Doesn't really matter I guess as long as they got him out of there OK.

That's great news.

I really wish devices like SPOT were more cost achievable.

At the very least a simple GPS would of saved him alot of trouble... and the simple ability of knowing how to use it. I never leave home without it.. Wife has a good one too now.. got me back on trail fast 2 times last weekend on the Dry River trail ... Oh well... live and learn.

Maybe a late winter hike into Thirteen Falls? I have done that one in late winter/spring partially on skis and partially on foot where there were bare patches. It would be interesting if they would publish a list of gear carried by the rescued after a rescue. But then I suppose that would lead to even more unhelpful critical critiquing.

I agree that the likely itinerary was circumnavigation of Owl's Head and that there was route finding issues between the OH slide and Camp 13.

I imagine he didn't have snow shoes (or the conditions were such that he was post holing with snow shoes) and that exhaustion is what prevented him from simply going up the ridge til he reached the Franconia Ridge Trail.

Hope he had a Hike Safe Card & appropriate gear. If he did, this might be a good test of whether hiking solo is reckless.

Glad he is ok.