Pemi-loop starting Saturday evening 3/1

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mats Roing

Reaction score
There are three of us (Leaf, Jason, me) who plan to do a clock-wise Pemiloop starting from LW around 10pm this Saturday evening.

The assumptions are there will a lot of unbroken trail. We plan to spot one car at Lafayette Place and another one by the Garfield winter TH by route 3.

If anyone wants to join in you are welcome to do so with the understanding that this is a serious 30+ mile winter hike with lots of vertical feet (9,000 at least) and you are expected to share in the trailbreaking and carry what you need to survive camping out in a storm. The odds are against us after this snowstorm currently in full force. We just can't resist the pleasure of breaking so much virgin snow mile after mile :D

I expect Lafayette to be reached in 7-8 hours or so and it will get light somewhere after Lafayette. Another 7-8 hours to South Twin with a break at Garfield campground to refill water/melt snow. Twinway to Guyot will be slow going I'm sure. Don't expect to be back at LW much before 8pm Sunday. We might stat at 9pm Saturday in order to get more of a cushion.

We'll have winter camping gear including a tent, sleeping pads, sleeping bags, stoves so we can melt snow and cook food.

It's possible we bail at Little Haystack if the weather is bad. if good weather and we are in good shape at that point...we'll continue to next bail point and make another decision.

Probably will rent a motel room in Lincoln Sunday night if too tired to drive home.

Are we going to have fun or what! :D

una_dogger said:
Have a great time, Dream Team!

Will be sending you strong trailbreaking vibes from slopes!
Thanks una_dogger!! :D

Stev-o said:
May meet you on West Bond, with some Heiniken Kegs and a crock-pot of Sweedish meatballs.
I think the keg would knock me out, but i'll happily have some meatballs ;)

Last edited:
Oooh, sounds too cool. I'd love to join you guys if i hadn't any plans.

Have fun!!!

Mats Roing said:
Just make the plans "joining us" ;)
Woody48 said:
You guys have a great time. CBCBD is going to be busy breaking trail in front of me! Being slow has its advantages! :rolleyes:
Ya heard the man, I gotta break trail for him so he is nice and fresh when reaching the crux and can lead it for all of us ;) :D

why not?

I'll join you guys...it sounds like a totally insane plan...I like it. Mats knows I can't walk in snow-shoes, but I can competently fall down the downhill sections and clear those out for you.

I'll give it a shot at least, can someone shuttle me from Lafayette Place so I can bail if I need to? If I can't keep up I'm fine going solo one night.

wgreene said:
I'll join you guys...it sounds like a totally insane plan...I like it. Mats knows I can't walk in snow-shoes, but I can competently fall down the downhill sections and clear those out for you.

I'll give it a shot at least, can someone shuttle me from Lafayette Place so I can bail if I need to? If I can't keep up I'm fine going solo one night.

We are happy to pick you up at Lafayette Place if you want to preplace it there. We'll talk more soon.

Mats

slow people pemi loop?

Will, Maybe we can put together a slow people group on the side? maybe we can break it down to two days?

mountaingirl said:
Will, Maybe we can put together a slow people group on the side? maybe we can break it down to two days?

The group will be slow anyway. No need to break it down into two groups....two feet of new snow and sometimes deeper drifts is gonna make it a slow haul even of you are a moose or giraf. And it's not a bad idea to adopt something like the AMC rule of 100 steps in the lead.....or maybe 5 minutes.....that way the people behind won't get cold.
The group will stick together for safety purposes.

Mats Roing said:
Maybe renaming the trip "Winter Sufferfest"......we are six people going so there will be some sharing of duties.......

I like it! Let the games begin! Part of the Sufferest activities should be pelting snowballs at the weakest party member. ;) By the way, my duty is to stay in the back to make sure the trail is being properly broken out.. oh, and to avoid those snowballs being hurled at me. :p

Push-ups at the summits?

leaf said:
Push-ups at the summits?

The problem with pushups in multiple feet of fresh snow is that it will be more like pressing down the snow than pushing yourself up :D

Maybe can do them laying on the back with another person on top which is being pushed up.....should be the same effect right ;)

I did the Pemi Loop in 4 days and was exhausted! Ok, maybe not exhausted, but tired. And that was in August!

Have fun out there and be safe!

:)