WMNF Forest Road Status

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know if Rocky Branch Road is open yet? Is that even needed to access the Rocky Branch Trailhead (south, from Jericho Road)?

I called the Saco Ranger district and they said that it's currently closed, but there is parking at the turnaround by the gate, about 1.5 miles from the trail head.

I called the Saco Ranger district and they said that it's currently closed, but there is parking at the turnaround by the gate, about 1.5 miles from the trail head.

Update: The lower gate was open, so we were able to park at the 'new' trail head, before the brand new bridge. Unclear why the gate before the bridges was closed as the road to the original trail head was in good shape.

Is Mt Clinton Road open to Edmands Path trail head? Have seen several trip reports referencing taking the Edmands Path but none specify if they drove to trail head or did a road walk. Anybody been there of late?

It was open two Mondays ago when I hiked Pierce and Eisenhower. Came down Edmands and then the road. Would have spotted a bike if I had known it was open.

It was open two Mondays ago when I hiked Pierce and Eisenhower. Came down Edmands and then the road. Would have spotted a bike if I had known it was open.

Thanks for the info.

Sunday afternoon (5/15/16), the gates at both ends of Gale River Road were open, but Haystack Road was still gated.

Does anyone know if Nash Stream Road in Stark, NH, where the trailheads for both Percys and Sugarloaf (the one in Nash Stream Valley) are located, is open? The AMC Guide 28th Ed., which I have handy, claims that it is almost always closed until Memorial Day. I don't have the latest (29th Ed.) at hand, but am told that it does not repeat those words but its Map still describes the Road as Closed in Winter. This is not a WMNF Road and does not appear on that page. Since I was calling a WMNF Ranger today anyway to ask about a Road that is on that page, I asked if he knew. He didn't, but said he'd wondered the same thing. Looking at Percys and Sugarloaf hike descriptions here and elsewhere, I found none in recent years earlier than Memorial Day, so maybe my Guide is right, although somehow I doubt that. Diligent Googling shed no further light.

Yes, the whole road (Tripoli). Asphalt was a bit bumpy on the Waterville Valley end!

Does anyone know if Nash Stream Road in Stark, NH, where the trailheads for both Percys and Sugarloaf (the one in Nash Stream Valley) are located, is open?

NH Division of Forests and Lands reports that the Nash Stream Gate will be opened Friday May 20.

Does anyone know if Nash Stream Road in Stark, NH, where the trailheads for both Percys and Sugarloaf (the one in Nash Stream Valley) are located, is open? The AMC Guide 28th Ed., which I have handy, claims that it is almost always closed until Memorial Day.

Pure Speculation on my part is that Ride the Wilds ATV network is scheduled to open May 23rd. I believe at least one trail runs through Nash Stream, so that would imply that the Nash Stream Gate would be open by the 23rd? Good luck figuring out who to call in the state government to call.

Haystack Rd was gated at 6:15 AM SAT with 4 cars in front of it but was open when I went by at 5:30 PM. FYI.

Drove Jefferson Notch Road today 5-26-16 from Valley Road to Base Road...in good shape, also lots of vehicles at Caps Ridge Trailhead....

It's Nov. 3rd.
Word I heard on the street is that Bear Mt. Road is already closed for the season.

Anyone know about Sandwich Notch? I want to get in there this Saturday.

Jeez, closing roads already? I want to head up to Wild River Wilderness area to hike this weekend. Im assuming the road to the campsites at Wild River is still open, but guess I'll have to be flexible.