Fiva Accident -- A Good Read

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
I just finished reading: Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong by Gorden Stainforth.

It won a Banff Mountain Literature Award (2012) and it tells the story of twin 17-year-old brothers and their easy climb gone seriously wrong. It was written and published by one of the brothers 40 years after the events it describes, thus shinning the insightful light of maturity on the decisions and consequences that almost killed them both.

Given all the discussion, analysis, Monday Morning QBing, etc. that we here do about rescues in the Whites, I bet many of you might enjoy this well-written book.

Bottom line - Your only young once (thank god).

cb

Last edited:
I just finished reading: Fiva: An Adventure That Went Wrong by Gorden Stainforth.

It won a Banff Mountain Literature Award (2012) and it tells the story of twin 17-year-old brothers and their easy climb gone seriously wrong. It was written and published by one of the brothers 40 years after the events it describes, thus shinning the insightful light of maturity on the decisions and consequences that almost killed them both.

Given all the discussion, analysis, Monday Morning QBing, etc. that we here do about rescues in the Whites, I bet many of you might enjoy this well-written book.

Bottom line - Your only young once (thank god).

cb

I ordered the book, it arrived. I read a couple of pages then couldn't set it down. I was locked in. It's probably a good thing that every book I come across is not like this one or I probably wouldn't get anything else done. Highly recommended.

I ordered the book, it arrived. I read a couple of pages then couldn't set it down. I was locked in. It's probably a good thing that every book I come across is not like this one or I probably wouldn't get anything else done. Highly recommended.

Really glad you enjoyed it.

It struck me how those kids just sucked it up and dealt with the bad stuff in that pre-cell-phone era.

I know from reading Accidents in North American Mountaineering that cell phones also save lives. Like most technology that has entered our lives, a mixed bag at best.

cb

Available on iTunes as an eBook for $9.99 - just downloaded.
Thanks for the recommendation.