keeping feet warm

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I read somewhere that someboby wrapped his feet from his ankles to his toes with suran wrap (over his socks). This was to keep heat in and moisture out. Is this a good idea? Has anyone tried it?

Adk_dib said:
I read somewhere that someboby wrapped his feet from his ankles to his toes with suran wrap (over his socks). This was to keep heat in and moisture out. Is this a good idea? Has anyone tried it?

It certainly won't let your feet's moisture out!

Adk_dib said:
No.
Hopefully not.

The saran wrap will be much more effective if wrapped directly on the skin.

Anything between a vapor barrier and your feet will get soaked. The VB should be as close to your skin as is practical/comfortable. People wear, at most, a thin liner sock between their feet and the VB. The heavy insulating/cushioning (usually wool) socks should be outside the VB. If external water is a problem, you can add a second VB outside the heavy socks.

Plastic bags or formal VBL socks would be much better than Saran wrap.

Doug

Last edited:
I'm not sure, DougPaul. At least not in my experience. I use VBLs on my feet a LOT. 5 days a week, throughout the winter, on my bicycle commute. I've used them in various ways, but what I have found to be the best, is a thin polypro sock, covered with the VB, then covered with a thicker sock. And I have tested them all other ways. (Outside both socks lets one put their boots on a lot easier, but that's where its advantage ends.

I don't use saran-wrap. I use bread bags... Either whole wheat or rye..Better than white.

Pete_Hickey said:
I'm not sure, DougPaul. At least not in my experience. I use VBLs on my feet a LOT. 5 days a week, throughout the winter, on my bicycle commute. I've used them in various ways, but what I have found to be the best, is a thin polypro sock, covered with the VB, then covered with a thicker sock. And I have tested them all other ways. (Outside both socks lets one put their boots on a lot easier, but that's where its advantage ends.
Not sure about which part?

I was talking about all-day use. If you use the VBLs for a short period, there is a lot more latitude because it takes some time to soak the socks inside the VBL. A plastic bag outside the socks is just a wind/splash barrier until perspiration collects in the socks.

I think we are in agreement that thin inner sock, VBL, and thick outer sock is the best for comfort and warmth.

Doug

Big ziplocs

In a wet November snowstorm with summer boots on a 3 day backpack, I used 1 gallon Ziplocs in a pinch over my socks/under my boots. Uncomfortable, but a half hour in camp or a half mile or so on the trail with this and they were toasty and I could take them off. Low-tech, yes, but worth the embarrassment. :eek:

I always wear thick Smartwool socks next to skin, then plastic grocery type bag (although I think whole wheat bread bag would work better...thanks for that idea, Pete!), then boot. I've found that arrangement to be most comfortable. If I just wear a liner sock under the "VBL's" my feet get too wet.

Once I take my boots off for the night, my damp Smartwools quickly dry inside my sleeping bag. I have gotten this arrangement to work quite comfortably for 5 days. I think it would work for longer, but I haven't stayed out longer than that in the winter. The key, of course, is to keep your boot liners dry!!!

RE: Letting the moisure out. That's the whole point. Yes, your feet get wet and clammy, but they are warm. With no moisture escaping, the warmth generated is unreal. I've never done the saran wrap, but I would guess it would work. VBLs work great. I usually put them over a thin sock, and a thick sock over the VBLs.

***CAUTION***Don't smell your feet after a long day out there. *Blech* :D

Another quick tip...

If possible, try to change your socks too during the day as you hike... I try to make this a habit in the winter, my feet stay pretty dry and warm this way. At night, I wear a pair to sleep in, leaving the other two pairs; worn that day, in my sleeping bag to dry out.

It has worked for me for quite a while.
Kevin