Mt. Clough : NH 100 Highest Bushwhack with ROUTE DETAILS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennis C.

Reaction score
In the mtns, being chased (!) & Tewksbury, USA
On Saturday, Feb. 11, Joan, Irene, and I had a beautiful sunny day for a bushwhack up Mt. Clough, just west of Mt. Moosilauke. This was my second winter climb of this peak, but a first using a southern approach. Our hike start was from the upper parking lot of the Sanatorium in Glencliff. After setting altimeters, we used the gated logging road from there about a mile to a stream dam (BM 1796) by the Tunnel Brook Trail and followed that to about 2000 feet. Soon after starting our bushwhack route up Mt. Clough, we left the snowshoes behind and followed along the marked ridge. The forest was fairly open about 2/3 of the way, but we passed through several spruce and snapper thicket bands and one steep section (red cross). There was just enough snow on the lower mountain to retrace our tracks on the way back. There was a lot of moose activity evidence in the last 1/3 mi. before the summit area. We found the jar and register book. We were the first to log in this year. Great day!

Pat and I did it on a New Years Day long ago - we parked at the closest approach of the North and South Rd. It was a nice and easy walk except for some thick slash near the top - left us wishing we'd tried something more challenging!

Say hi to J & I for me

I've always climbed from the SW, remember unbuckling snowshoes at the summit and stepping onto large tree which I climbed for the view

Worst trip was in April, Debi got her Rabbit mired & after snowshoeing up we had to walk back to civilization, fortunately first house we asked wouldn't let us make a phone call without paying (had no money on us) because at second house was a guy with a 4wd who pulled us out for free for the fun of it